1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Disappointing Reliability
By hjhartii on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

I bought this gorgeous vehicle at one year old with only 15k miles. It was great at first, but since then I've spent over $2,500 in major repairs including AC compressor, AC accumulator, heater core, and rear engine seal (100,000 miles). Now the catalytic converter is going to cost $750 to replace! This SUV gets lots of miles put on it, but they are gentle miles. I've been disappointed by the repair costs.

Poor Longevity
By iso_dexter on 07/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

We have had no problems with any part of our Jeep.....other than mechanical & electrical. We spend around $1200 a year in maintenance stemming from one of the two. Granted the majority of the cost involved is labor, but who has a full service auto repair shop in their garage? Working in the engine area of the Jeep is tight quarters! Don't get me wrong - We love our Jeep,expenses and all! Watch out for the main ABS control unit - it's a lemon!

Red Jeep
By DP on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

After purchasing my Jeep, I had the vehicled into the dealer shop three times during the warranty period because of a leaky transmission. It continued to leak after the warranty ran out. The leak was small, but kept a mess on my garage floor. I maintained the fluid level. At about 85,000 the transmission failed. The vehicle has been back to the transmission shop 5 times because of leaks. It continues to leak.

98 jeep
By derekw on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

very strong vechicle can take whatever i can dish out

Jeep-o-crap
By Alias on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This car has had problems with transmission, 5 years old!!! Maybe I'd like this car better but I have a Benz that is the best, old and sturdy 1990.

Outstanding Automobile
By peckl on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I only had 3 days to buy a car after my 1997 GrCherLtd was wrecked. This 1998 5.9 bought with 19,000 miles proved to be an outstanding purchase: condition, sound system, and appearance. Bonding with this car has been strong and quick. I modified it with front tow hook mounted trailer ball for moving all sized aircraft in and out of hangars and glider trailers, and oxygen carts. Wonderful automobile.

Great Value
By bz767 on 05/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV

This has been a great vehicle for me. 75,000 miles in two years and the only complaint I have is with the fuel pump that had to be replaced because of a poor original design.

Reliability Issues
By Knut on 05/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have to admit I have a love hate relationship with my Jeep. I have replaced the front and rear pinion 3 times and the forth is coming about. Complete rework of transfer case. Blown intake gasket. Replaced to an updated front torque tube (to reduce noise). Fuel sensor failure. Replaced water pump. The car is still under extended warranty and has never been driven off road. I am also very dissapointed about the fit and finish. Such as suface rust protection of drive line components. In spite of excellent power and great exterior looks, I will stay away from Chrysler products for a while.

LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIP
By stumped on 04/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I love it today... Hate it tomorrow when something else breaks for the 4th time in 2yrs 8 mos.

Premature Failures
By C. Bond on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

33000 miles- The fuel pump failed. 35000 miles- The power steering pump failed. 46000 miles the sway bar disconnected. 52000 miles the IPS sensor failed. 70000 miles the tramsmision pump and torque converter failed. The remote control memory, door locks, power mirrors and seat controls have failed roughly 4 times. What really got me is when the repair facility was familiar with the failure mode each time. You mean it's normal to loose a fuel pump at 33,000 miles? Oh, and the "certified" service department local to me is a joke. 3 transmission repairs, and 2 of them returned a vehicle with loose transfer case bolts?