1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Sad to see it go
By jen castorri on 07/11/10 20:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Got my 98 Jeep in 2005 after my first daughter was born. another kid and a lot of miles later, 223,700 to be exact, my Jeep still rocks. Living in Georgia does cause it to want to over heat here lately, but what do you expect! I have driven this Jeep from Georgia, to central Florida and straight up to Virginia all in one trip. Made it from Pennsylvania down to Georgia all in one day with no problems at all. The only reason we are considering getting rid of it is due to a maybe expanding family and the higher mileage. Don't want to risk being stranded with kids all by myself! It has never happened but why try? I love my Jeep. Jeep needs to make a van!

Got What I Paid For
By SCB on 12/15/09 12:20 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Wanted a Jeep, got a Jeep. No major issues over the last 11 yrs and 125000 mi. Trying to make it last through all 3 kids and their early driving years - four yrs to go! Radio doesn't work well, tape deck(!) quit working, back lift gate is frozen in place (window works). Mechanically sound. No rust. Gave it tender loving care every 5,000 miles. Wish they hadn't discontinued the model...or the Cherokee Sport. Wish I'd spent the extra $ and gotten 4WD.

miss transgender 98 Grand Cherokee.
By miss transgender on 03/20/08 01:38 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

i've had the vehicle 2 months and its one of the best things i've ever bought my self ever comfort is great i replaced the factory sound system am fm cassette to a nice cd system replace all speaker and added two on the dash i added a full dvd system i wash and wax here ever day got a closed in car port for her to sleep at night this is one slam up jeep i've got the 4.0 straight six lots of power and torque ever thing power in her rear pop up glass factory alloy wheels she great she my girl.

Excellent
By ef822 on 01/02/08 18:04 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I just bought the car because I have a child and wanted something that was spacious and safe at the same time. I think I have made a great choice in what I chose. The car to me rides so smooth for being a somewhat slender suv. I honestly thought it would be a little bumby and I was pleastly suprised. So far I have only had the car for a few day but I love it. I was also kind of worried about the gas mileage with it being a v8, It actually gets pretty good gas mileage. Overall I would say this is a wonderful car.

Crim's Jeep
By Linda on 05/11/07 13:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought this Jeep in March of this year with 184k miles on it. Great in rain or snow. Very good brakes for size of vehicle. I love being able to stop it on a dime. So far reliable. Recomend this year to anyone

Worst car I ever Owned
By Chris on 03/27/05 20:05 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I bought the car with 25,000 miles. I have 92,000.00. Between 55,000 and 92,000 I have replaced rear end, two power steering units, 2 water pumps, and transmission. I have a 96 Honda Accord with 190,000 I gave to my daughter I've replaced tires and a battery.

Grand Cherokee not for me!
By wildman on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Buyers beware of problems with drivetrain. Transmission hesitates in reverse, and suddenly upshifts/downshifts from 2nd to 3rd (always has since 45000 miles). Also, bearings in differential are prone to go bad - apparently this is a common problem according to local dealer - manufacturing tolerances were too tight. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. Chrysler really should do something about their problematic transmissions. I hate to say this, since I enjoyed the Wrangler that I previously owned, but it had a manual tranny, instead of automatic. I'm now lookind at Toyota 4runners, based on their good history.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rocks!
By malone on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I inherited this loved vehicle, it sat unused over a year. All it's needed is regular oil changes, brake pads, new tires,a battery, except for a inside door handle that broke, 125.00 est.repair.Use Jeep brake pads, others don't s fit right. Runs like a CHARM, very comfortable,fun to drive, great manueverability. Never taken off road. Towed a small uhaul once,great results. Like more rear space, my prefered cars vans,trucks, but sold other car to keep this one liked it so much. Only complaint is in putting the rear seats down you have to move the front seats up, could have been better design. And is this car RELIABLE, you betcha WOW!!!!

Best vehicle I have ever owned
By Enegma1 on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I purchased this vehicle for its style and functionality. I am a Photographer and Videographer. I needed a vehicle where I can carry my equipment without tearing up the interior of my vehicle. This vehicle has never been to dealership for any major repair other factory recalls. Easy to work on myself. I do my own oil changes,change belts, hoses,brakes,shocks,and tuneups. It has been very reliable and joy to drive. I can go pretty much wherever a 4 wheel drive vehicle can go. I travel to great Northwest up to Canada and back. I would never buy anything else but another Jeep.There is no equal

Love it!
By Spenca6 on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I decided to go ahead with the purchase, and have been happy ever since. Jeep has a longstanding good name, and make reliable SUV's that are the only (besides hummer) commerical vehicle ready to take on the Rubikon right off the assembly line, something that I learned in years past. I have never had to use 4-Lo, and have never gotten stuck in snow, mud, or water, and there have been sometimes that I thought nobody could pull me out, but with a little manuvering, Jeeps can really get out of ANYTHING!!! ALmost....