Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Decent SUV
By keeferk

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought this jeep in college with 308k miles on it. I was pretty wary about having problems at that high of a mileage, but so far the only thing that needs replaced is the tires and maybe brakes. I had to test it out in the mud today and the check engine light came on. Great drunk person carriage, I've saved a lot of lives driving people around in this thing. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

4WD & V8

Better fuel pump and cooling system. When driving for long periods of time (i.e. 130+ miles) I could tell the engine was running hot. Most '98 SUV's do though.

my first
By carlover92

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my first Jeep to own. So far I love the vehicle. Other than the fact that the transmission needs fixing, and a few other things but the car is over 14 years old. I love how it moves with the road and if I go 60mph I can easily get 23mpg and over 500 miles per tank. That's as good as the new ones. I do average 19mpg around town and that is still pretty good too.

The seats are the most comfortable cloth seats than any other vehicle I have been in.

No, not really.

Limited 5.9 Still a BEAST
By princeofpeace

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this as a step up in a second car. It quickly became our favorite. From 0-100 it takes just 16 seconds! Stops from 100 m.p.h. in a amazing 126ft. This is a 1/4 mile high 14's Jeep! Bone stock,179K miles still idles at 600rpm smooth as glass. Stomping on the gas lurches you forward without any tire spin just flat out acceleration. Gets 15m.p.g. overall a stout 18@ 65mph for any length. The interior is laid out perfect! Cruise and radio/CD control on the steering wheel.Climate control that really works! Slick leather seats in dove Grey.Leather and wood everywhere! Faster than 5.0's n Vettes in the 1990's! Still shocks kids at red light jumps. Only in a Jeep!

180 watt Infinity 8 speaker am-fm cass-cd with controls on rear side of steering wheel,cruise on front. This Jeep is wicked fast! I race from stop lights and 35mph horn starts and this thing eats,Mustangs,Challangers,Vettes. It really stands tall with any vehicle up to 2005 when the Hemi's came out. I gentleman off road in Wisc. and have never been let down.Only wear item repairs ever! Just did full tune up w/tri-fire plugs,cap,wires/rotor runs like brand new!

Needs Premium fuel,I would love to run cheaper 87 octane but it does NOT work on it.

Holy Crap!
By GI Joe 44

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I bought this Jeep for my wife before my last tour in Iraq. When I came home there were very few issues, and after some repairs we took it on a trek across country and back. just over 5000 miles. Last night while driving though the mountains, we got hit with a cross wind that shoved me left and ripped the sunroof right out of the vehicle. It was raining and the sunroof was closed tightly. None of the interior windows were open.

Love the look and after replacing the stereo and 2 front speakers love the sound quality.

Obviously if the sunroof thing is a factory defect then that could be improved, also the mileage should be a bit better, but it is not as bad as some.

Jeepers Creepers!
By Josh

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my Jeep Grand Cherokee about two years ago from a friend. It has the 5.2 L with 245,000 miles and the motor runs like its brand new. the transmission has just started to leak but as long as you stay on top of the fluid it works fine. great in the snow. everything electrical seems to have broken, drivers window motor, radio, heated seats, speakers, rear wiper, check engine light is on. lots of the interior plastic things break, i.e. center console cover ripped clear off. early in its life it was driven into a parking garage pillar at around 30 mph and it did extensive damage which was fixed with a chain and tree. Overall a lot of little things break, but the essentials cant be killed

can't be killed!

better fuel economy, better electrical, less cheap interior