1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Decent SUV
By keeferk on 05/10/13 20:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought this jeep in college with 308k miles on it. I was pretty wary about having problems at that high of a mileage, but so far the only thing that needs replaced is the tires and maybe brakes. I had to test it out in the mud today and the check engine light came on. Great drunk person carriage, I've saved a lot of lives driving people around in this thing. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

my first
By carlover92 on 08/22/12 07:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my first Jeep to own. So far I love the vehicle. Other than the fact that the transmission needs fixing, and a few other things but the car is over 14 years old. I love how it moves with the road and if I go 60mph I can easily get 23mpg and over 500 miles per tank. That's as good as the new ones. I do average 19mpg around town and that is still pretty good too.

Limited 5.9 Still a BEAST
By princeofpeace on 02/22/11 06:50 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this as a step up in a second car. It quickly became our favorite. From 0-100 it takes just 16 seconds! Stops from 100 m.p.h. in a amazing 126ft. This is a 1/4 mile high 14's Jeep! Bone stock,179K miles still idles at 600rpm smooth as glass. Stomping on the gas lurches you forward without any tire spin just flat out acceleration. Gets 15m.p.g. overall a stout 18@ 65mph for any length. The interior is laid out perfect! Cruise and radio/CD control on the steering wheel.Climate control that really works! Slick leather seats in dove Grey.Leather and wood everywhere! Faster than 5.0's n Vettes in the 1990's! Still shocks kids at red light jumps. Only in a Jeep!

Holy Crap!
By GI Joe 44 on 08/28/10 09:38 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I bought this Jeep for my wife before my last tour in Iraq. When I came home there were very few issues, and after some repairs we took it on a trek across country and back. just over 5000 miles. Last night while driving though the mountains, we got hit with a cross wind that shoved me left and ripped the sunroof right out of the vehicle. It was raining and the sunroof was closed tightly. None of the interior windows were open.

Jeepers Creepers!
By Josh on 08/23/10 15:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my Jeep Grand Cherokee about two years ago from a friend. It has the 5.2 L with 245,000 miles and the motor runs like its brand new. the transmission has just started to leak but as long as you stay on top of the fluid it works fine. great in the snow. everything electrical seems to have broken, drivers window motor, radio, heated seats, speakers, rear wiper, check engine light is on. lots of the interior plastic things break, i.e. center console cover ripped clear off. early in its life it was driven into a parking garage pillar at around 30 mph and it did extensive damage which was fixed with a chain and tree. Overall a lot of little things break, but the essentials cant be killed

Sad to see it go
By jen castorri on 07/11/10 20:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Got my 98 Jeep in 2005 after my first daughter was born. another kid and a lot of miles later, 223,700 to be exact, my Jeep still rocks. Living in Georgia does cause it to want to over heat here lately, but what do you expect! I have driven this Jeep from Georgia, to central Florida and straight up to Virginia all in one trip. Made it from Pennsylvania down to Georgia all in one day with no problems at all. The only reason we are considering getting rid of it is due to a maybe expanding family and the higher mileage. Don't want to risk being stranded with kids all by myself! It has never happened but why try? I love my Jeep. Jeep needs to make a van!

Best car i've ever owned
By tethsojh on 03/08/10 10:16 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car in Jan 06'. Traded in a 04' Mazda 6 for it. I had always wanted a Grand Cherokee and the dealership obviously gave me a great deal considering i was 'trading down.' In the 4+ years i've had it i've had very little problems. Just went on a 3000 mile trip from Iowa to Florida, Georgia, etc; and had zero issues. And thats with 175,000 miles on the odometer! I consistently get 21 mpg on the highway and 17-18 around town. Four-wheel drive is superb. Always goes in, and doesn't clunk of stick like some other older suv's do. Have taken it thru lots of off road places, crossed rivers, and gone thru 3 feet of snow without getting stuck. I would definitely recommend this car.

Performer, Sad to see you go
By Roman on 01/26/10 10:01 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Funny to read the reviews below: A/C gone at 100K, back wiper gone at 120k, can't keep back door up, 4 Wheel drive shifter not functioning properly, gas tank gauge gone at 110k, changed air sensor 2x (causes engine light to turn on) and looks like it needs a third swap, muffler change at 160k, front wheel suspension needs alot of work... still I'm going to miss you! After the long hauls, major home renovations and 4WD to ski slopes the Jeep performed well. The motor still feels smooth, quiet and should support future use with some major work on the above requirements.

Got What I Paid For
By SCB on 12/15/09 12:20 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Wanted a Jeep, got a Jeep. No major issues over the last 11 yrs and 125000 mi. Trying to make it last through all 3 kids and their early driving years - four yrs to go! Radio doesn't work well, tape deck(!) quit working, back lift gate is frozen in place (window works). Mechanically sound. No rust. Gave it tender loving care every 5,000 miles. Wish they hadn't discontinued the model...or the Cherokee Sport. Wish I'd spent the extra $ and gotten 4WD.

215,000 miles and still going strong!
By Cece on 08/06/09 15:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep new in 1998....white/grey leather interior, sunroof, etc. At 215,000 miles it is going strong....I drive a lot! Stellar reliability and design.....have been very lucky. It accommodates grandchildren, the dog and their equipment. Now deciding to "go green", turn it in and buy a Prius.....and I'm definitely having a problem parting with my Jeep. Hope this is helpful if you're on-the-fence about purchasing a new or used Jeep?