1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Decent SUV
By keeferk on 05/10/13 20:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought this jeep in college with 308k miles on it. I was pretty wary about having problems at that high of a mileage, but so far the only thing that needs replaced is the tires and maybe brakes. I had to test it out in the mud today and the check engine light came on. Great drunk person carriage, I've saved a lot of lives driving people around in this thing. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Limited 5.9 Still a BEAST
By princeofpeace on 02/22/11 06:50 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this as a step up in a second car. It quickly became our favorite. From 0-100 it takes just 16 seconds! Stops from 100 m.p.h. in a amazing 126ft. This is a 1/4 mile high 14's Jeep! Bone stock,179K miles still idles at 600rpm smooth as glass. Stomping on the gas lurches you forward without any tire spin just flat out acceleration. Gets 15m.p.g. overall a stout 18@ 65mph for any length. The interior is laid out perfect! Cruise and radio/CD control on the steering wheel.Climate control that really works! Slick leather seats in dove Grey.Leather and wood everywhere! Faster than 5.0's n Vettes in the 1990's! Still shocks kids at red light jumps. Only in a Jeep!

No problem in blizzard/mud/rain/dessert
By renaroo on 01/17/09 08:20 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Traded in older Jeep, overheated near Vegas en route to Zion during July 4th weekend. Performed flawlessly in the dessert, and A/C kept cool in over 100F temp. Moved to mountains, and helped towed moving truck up the hill when it overheated. Commuted 3 years 90 mi RT, from 5500 ft to sea level, in various conditions: blizzard, ice, mud slides, scorching summer heat with no problem. Rebuilt transmission at 150K. Gas mileage no noticeable change. Hit-n-run accident on the mountain at 170K. Not sure if related to accident, but a few months later: memory loss in computer settings (seat, mirror, radio), heated seat. Now at over 240K mi still works great at -30F. Replaced water pump-no other repairs

I love my 5.9
By ptowntsi on 12/28/06 17:00 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This has to be one of the best SUV's available used. I would take it over any mid-size SUV or wimpy crossover. Yes it is true many of these need to have their front and rear axles rebuilt around 100k miles, but that is not so bad. For the price of the vehicle it is easy to spend that money to have them done. When they are rebuilt they will last an easy 100k+ or more. It is completely justifiable. These Jeeps have awesome power, and very luxurious interiors. The 5.9 limited has better leather seats than any Jeep, heated seats, heated mirrors, a great AWD system, and timeless classic styling. I recommend this Jeep for anyone looking for a reliable vehicle.

Its problems have problems
By Don Jeans on 05/08/06 07:50 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this car for 4 years now. Bought it with 155k on it. First off, the car is a beast. Fast and really thirsty. Would probably beat most going from 20-50 mph. I test drove a BMW M3 this past weekend and honestly the Jeep has more torque. For better performance I sometimes kill the OD switch which bumps up the RPMs. The car is also a beast in the snow. It's almost impossible to get it stuck in anything. That said, Jeep really dropped the ball on its construction. The rear differential is the same as the base model 6 Grand Cherokee and can't handle the torque. The rear end makes this disgusting popping noise off the line and sounds like its about to fall off. All 5.9s have this problem.

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED 5.9L
By NORMA on 01/31/06 11:09 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used, have done only standard maintenance. Get 21 mpg on freeway, have hauled passengers, 5 large dogs (over 85#), and furniture. Gone 4 wheeling on purpose and not, without problems.

Great SUV - (In it's time)
By Kirk on 01/24/06 11:20 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, I have to admit I love this truck. It's very, very quick (especially with a few cheap bolt-ons), rides decent, and has more off-road ability than 99% of the drivers would ever need. My main complaint: build quality and reliability. My poor Jeep has spent more time in the shop than I care to add up. I would have gladly paid a couple more thousand for it if Jeep had put a little more effort into quality control.

5.9 Jeep Rocks
By Coop on 08/01/05 23:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this off a friend who got it new. It has 123,000 miles with no problems. It has a K&N Filter and gets approimately 17-18 on the highway and passing is NO problem as this SUV will fly. Had to put seals in transfer case where drive shaft goes in; dried up. It's only on its 3rd set of tires and they are new. Goes great in any condition. IF only it did not have the road noise/whine on the highway it would be perfect. Do have a strange electrical problem, may be ignition switch but still very reliable.

GREAT 5.9
By FRANK on 07/24/05 16:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have an Acura and a 5.9 Jeep and the Jeep is much plusher and less troublesome than the Acura. Both have the same miles 50-60k. The rpm on the Jeep could be higher to get a little more power it shifts at 4450rpm. Itís a fun car to drive and the only serious drawback is mileage -- 12.5 to 20.

Beast
By JohnHervy on 11/12/04 09:54 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We got our 5.9 limited Grand Cherokee new. It was silver. Hood louvers, fully leather seats, and a chrome exhaust pipe. Unbelievably distinctive. It was our first Jeep, what a powerful, smooth beast. It was the fastest SUV ever made. When the motor starts, it rumbles. You don't just hear it idling, you feel it reverberating in your chest, it moves your soul. It carried us safely, reliably, and luxuriously for 6.5 years on city streets and country trails. We lost it this week, a very sad, bitter- sweet moment, it was our treasured beast. But traded it in for a new hemi- powered Grand Cherokee Limited which should arrive today.