Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Sad to see it go
By jen castorri

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Got my 98 Jeep in 2005 after my first daughter was born. another kid and a lot of miles later, 223,700 to be exact, my Jeep still rocks. Living in Georgia does cause it to want to over heat here lately, but what do you expect! I have driven this Jeep from Georgia, to central Florida and straight up to Virginia all in one trip. Made it from Pennsylvania down to Georgia all in one day with no problems at all. The only reason we are considering getting rid of it is due to a maybe expanding family and the higher mileage. Don't want to risk being stranded with kids all by myself! It has never happened but why try? I love my Jeep. Jeep needs to make a van!

Favorite Features

Reliable, looks awesome, cant stop it! Its a smaller SUV and handles like a car.

Suggested Improvements

Not good on the environment at all! Lower emissions please! Better gas mileage would be cool, but not a deal winner. Turn the concept of the Jeep grand Cherokee into a van for us sporty moms.

Got What I Paid For
By SCB

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Wanted a Jeep, got a Jeep. No major issues over the last 11 yrs and 125000 mi. Trying to make it last through all 3 kids and their early driving years - four yrs to go! Radio doesn't work well, tape deck(!) quit working, back lift gate is frozen in place (window works). Mechanically sound. No rust. Gave it tender loving care every 5,000 miles. Wish they hadn't discontinued the model...or the Cherokee Sport. Wish I'd spent the extra $ and gotten 4WD.

Favorite Features

Plenty of space, good instrument package layout, rugged good looks, good handling.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the Cherokee - Grand Cherokee line!

miss transgender 98 Grand Cherokee.
By miss transgender

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

i've had the vehicle 2 months and its one of the best things i've ever bought my self ever comfort is great i replaced the factory sound system am fm cassette to a nice cd system replace all speaker and added two on the dash i added a full dvd system i wash and wax here ever day got a closed in car port for her to sleep at night this is one slam up jeep i've got the 4.0 straight six lots of power and torque ever thing power in her rear pop up glass factory alloy wheels she great she my girl.

Favorite Features

the carpet interior and the seats child safety locks power mirror rear wiper steering wheel air bag cruse control four wheel disk top luggage rack straight 6 4.0

Suggested Improvements

an electric rear window would have been nice and the spare tire full size and put under neath

Excellent
By ef822

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I just bought the car because I have a child and wanted something that was spacious and safe at the same time. I think I have made a great choice in what I chose. The car to me rides so smooth for being a somewhat slender suv. I honestly thought it would be a little bumby and I was pleastly suprised. So far I have only had the car for a few day but I love it. I was also kind of worried about the gas mileage with it being a v8, It actually gets pretty good gas mileage. Overall I would say this is a wonderful car.

Crim's Jeep
By Linda

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought this Jeep in March of this year with 184k miles on it. Great in rain or snow. Very good brakes for size of vehicle. I love being able to stop it on a dime. So far reliable. Recomend this year to anyone

Favorite Features

Overall look, power, everything. Cruise control. Fold down rear seat

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the spare tire in cargo area. Full size spare. That little dinky donut will not cut it. Move CD player more towards steering wheel