Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

POS Chrysler
By Charlie

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I can't tell you how much problems the jeeps we have get. Me and my dad both own the exact model 1998 Jeep even both of them being the same color. My dad has the 4.0 and I have the V8. They have always been nothing but trouble for many years. His has been in the shop forever, mine has 240000 miles now. It leak oil all the time always has, leaks coolent, leaks transmission, transmission slips also even when fluid is full, O2 sensor went out recently (as expected), no heat, no a/c, and that's just the recent stuff, tried getting that to work like four different times and it always just goes back out. And many more things over the years, it's like every other month somthing breaks down on it. Now it's a metal death trap because everytime I slow down/mash the brakes/ come to a stop, the RPMs drop to zero and the jeep shuts off and brakes and steering lock up WHILE IM DRIVING. even as your turning into a parking spot, or almost ramming into the back of a car because the thing just decided to shut off. Alot of times in a nervous wreck when I get home from almost crashing. Have spent many times trying to get the problem fixed but four different machanics at four different shops can't figure it out. It's now sitting in the yard because Im too scared to drive the junk. Now driving a little Chevy s10 truck. maybe I can use the jeep as a dare for my friends to drive it and if they get back without crashing I'll give them a hundered bucks.

Best Year
By Dale

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

The style and reliability are the best in the market. You must get the 4.0 and you should get 500 Thousand miles plus. The real reason they quit making the 4.0 was it will not die.

This Jeep taught me everything I know about cars.
By Jonnytoco@gmail

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

I bought this car in March of 2013 with 220,000 miles on it. This Jeep had alot of issues when I purchased it. The biggest problem was the stalling. After replacing the PCM computer this Jeep has served me a fantastic 33,000 miles. I am currently at 253,000 miles with this Jeep. I drive this 45 miles a day to Oceanside and it runs like a top. Of course with high milage vehicles comes issues every couple of months but that is what owning a Jeep is about. It is a learning experience. Because of these issues I grew, and that's why I love this Jeep. When it's maintained and everything is working its a dream. when something goes out its just another thing to learn yea its stressful but im thankful. cheap, reliable, amazing first car.

Decent SUV
By keeferk

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought this jeep in college with 308k miles on it. I was pretty wary about having problems at that high of a mileage, but so far the only thing that needs replaced is the tires and maybe brakes. I had to test it out in the mud today and the check engine light came on. Great drunk person carriage, I've saved a lot of lives driving people around in this thing. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

4WD & V8

Better fuel pump and cooling system. When driving for long periods of time (i.e. 130+ miles) I could tell the engine was running hot. Most '98 SUV's do though.

my first
By carlover92

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my first Jeep to own. So far I love the vehicle. Other than the fact that the transmission needs fixing, and a few other things but the car is over 14 years old. I love how it moves with the road and if I go 60mph I can easily get 23mpg and over 500 miles per tank. That's as good as the new ones. I do average 19mpg around town and that is still pretty good too.

The seats are the most comfortable cloth seats than any other vehicle I have been in.

No, not really.