Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Best Year
By Dale

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

The style and reliability are the best in the market. You must get the 4.0 and you should get 500 Thousand miles plus. The real reason they quit making the 4.0 was it will not die.

This Jeep taught me everything I know about cars.
By Jonnytoco@gmail

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

I bought this car in March of 2013 with 220,000 miles on it. This Jeep had alot of issues when I purchased it. The biggest problem was the stalling. After replacing the PCM computer this Jeep has served me a fantastic 33,000 miles. I am currently at 253,000 miles with this Jeep. I drive this 45 miles a day to Oceanside and it runs like a top. Of course with high milage vehicles comes issues every couple of months but that is what owning a Jeep is about. It is a learning experience. Because of these issues I grew, and that's why I love this Jeep. When it's maintained and everything is working its a dream. when something goes out its just another thing to learn yea its stressful but im thankful. cheap, reliable, amazing first car.

Decent SUV
By keeferk

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought this jeep in college with 308k miles on it. I was pretty wary about having problems at that high of a mileage, but so far the only thing that needs replaced is the tires and maybe brakes. I had to test it out in the mud today and the check engine light came on. Great drunk person carriage, I've saved a lot of lives driving people around in this thing. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

4WD & V8

Better fuel pump and cooling system. When driving for long periods of time (i.e. 130+ miles) I could tell the engine was running hot. Most '98 SUV's do though.

my first
By carlover92

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my first Jeep to own. So far I love the vehicle. Other than the fact that the transmission needs fixing, and a few other things but the car is over 14 years old. I love how it moves with the road and if I go 60mph I can easily get 23mpg and over 500 miles per tank. That's as good as the new ones. I do average 19mpg around town and that is still pretty good too.

The seats are the most comfortable cloth seats than any other vehicle I have been in.

No, not really.

Limited 5.9 Still a BEAST
By princeofpeace

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this as a step up in a second car. It quickly became our favorite. From 0-100 it takes just 16 seconds! Stops from 100 m.p.h. in a amazing 126ft. This is a 1/4 mile high 14's Jeep! Bone stock,179K miles still idles at 600rpm smooth as glass. Stomping on the gas lurches you forward without any tire spin just flat out acceleration. Gets 15m.p.g. overall a stout 18@ 65mph for any length. The interior is laid out perfect! Cruise and radio/CD control on the steering wheel.Climate control that really works! Slick leather seats in dove Grey.Leather and wood everywhere! Faster than 5.0's n Vettes in the 1990's! Still shocks kids at red light jumps. Only in a Jeep!

180 watt Infinity 8 speaker am-fm cass-cd with controls on rear side of steering wheel,cruise on front. This Jeep is wicked fast! I race from stop lights and 35mph horn starts and this thing eats,Mustangs,Challangers,Vettes. It really stands tall with any vehicle up to 2005 when the Hemi's came out. I gentleman off road in Wisc. and have never been let down.Only wear item repairs ever! Just did full tune up w/tri-fire plugs,cap,wires/rotor runs like brand new!

Needs Premium fuel,I would love to run cheaper 87 octane but it does NOT work on it.

• SUV