Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Limited 5.9 Still a BEAST
By princeofpeace

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this as a step up in a second car. It quickly became our favorite. From 0-100 it takes just 16 seconds! Stops from 100 m.p.h. in a amazing 126ft. This is a 1/4 mile high 14's Jeep! Bone stock,179K miles still idles at 600rpm smooth as glass. Stomping on the gas lurches you forward without any tire spin just flat out acceleration. Gets 15m.p.g. overall a stout 18@ 65mph for any length. The interior is laid out perfect! Cruise and radio/CD control on the steering wheel.Climate control that really works! Slick leather seats in dove Grey.Leather and wood everywhere! Faster than 5.0's n Vettes in the 1990's! Still shocks kids at red light jumps. Only in a Jeep!

Favorite Features

180 watt Infinity 8 speaker am-fm cass-cd with controls on rear side of steering wheel,cruise on front. This Jeep is wicked fast! I race from stop lights and 35mph horn starts and this thing eats,Mustangs,Challangers,Vettes. It really stands tall with any vehicle up to 2005 when the Hemi's came out. I gentleman off road in Wisc. and have never been let down.Only wear item repairs ever! Just did full tune up w/tri-fire plugs,cap,wires/rotor runs like brand new!

Suggested Improvements

Needs Premium fuel,I would love to run cheaper 87 octane but it does NOT work on it.

Holy Crap!
By GI Joe 44

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

I bought this Jeep for my wife before my last tour in Iraq. When I came home there were very few issues, and after some repairs we took it on a trek across country and back. just over 5000 miles. Last night while driving though the mountains, we got hit with a cross wind that shoved me left and ripped the sunroof right out of the vehicle. It was raining and the sunroof was closed tightly. None of the interior windows were open.

Favorite Features

Love the look and after replacing the stereo and 2 front speakers love the sound quality.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously if the sunroof thing is a factory defect then that could be improved, also the mileage should be a bit better, but it is not as bad as some.

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED 5.9L
By NORMA

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used, have done only standard maintenance. Get 21 mpg on freeway, have hauled passengers, 5 large dogs (over 85#), and furniture. Gone 4 wheeling on purpose and not, without problems.

Favorite Features

Look, comfort (for a 4-wheel drive), versatility.

Please stay away!
By Islander

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Stay away from this vehicle. Wonderful lemon.

JEEP?? or CHEEP??
By AJS2

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I dont usually buy Domestic, and now I know why... While generally reliable, the gas mileage is poor,I am now inundated with repairs,9 At 105,000..and the fit out and comfort is not nearly as nice as the competitors at Toyota,or Nissan. IF I had to o it over again, the extra 5k for the Import is well worth it.

Favorite Features

Favorite feature, is the navigational tools such as compass direction, avg gas mileage, outdoor temperature etc... its a handy tool.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel injected engines, better fitout, and higher quality parts to reduce the number of garage visits.. This car should not be failing at 100,000 miles, but it is..