V8 Laredo 4x4
By ford_guy351 on
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD
This was the first car I had when I got my license and I bought it becouse it looked very good and I wanted the V8 power. Soon after I bought it though I relized that it was a typical Mopar useless and unreliable. I figured out that it leaked oil and it began to make a popping noise which was the drivers side C/V axle shaft boot had worn out and soon after the whole thing snapped and I had to replace it. But the engine itself has never had any major problems and currently it has 136k miles. The interior is nice but the stock speakers were blown when I got it and the passenger side heated seat refuses to work on high but the leather is very nice.
Favorite Features
I am 17 so I like the power of the V8 and all the luxury options offered such as dual power heated seats, power everything else cassette/CD/AM/FM radio and all the space inside especially when you fold the back seats flat and the fact it tells you your average mpg. instant mpg, distance tell empty,compass and tempareture.
Suggested Improvements
I hate the horrible gas mileage 14 mpg!! It sucks when it costs $70-$80 to fill up the tank. Also the terrible build quality on the exterior the plastic horribe bumper covers which dont provide any protection at all. I backed into a tree not very fast I might add and now theres a big dent in the liftgate and i cant open it unless I reach into the inside and pull on something and the front bumper feels like its ready to fall off every time you touch it. It also doesnt have a 2WD option just 4 HI and 4 LO which is a big blow on the mpg. This also has a bad affect on the performence, it does have power but its horribly slow off the line once it gets up to 35 mph then it will accelerate faster
By bruces222
on 02/08/12 14:34 PM (PST)

You are complaining about a vehicle that you bought used. When you buy a used vehicle you do not know what the previous owner did with the vehicle. Was it properly maintained , abused etc. This being your first vehicle I can understand your vast experience with Mopar engines , claiming them to be "useless and unreliable". Yet you also mentioned that the "engine has had no major problems" So Im trying to figure out how trouble free also means useless and unreliable ? If you were to remove the front driveshaft you would notice a fuel difference of about 1 mpg. and very little difference in performance. However you would be able to spin the tires easier. You are expecting a full time 4wd vehicle to perform "off the line" ? You should have bought a sports car if you want something fast. What you bought was a full time 4wd suv. The Grand Cherokee performs like a full time 4wd suv , and does it very well . Why would they let a 17 year old kid write a review when he is clueless and has no prior experience with any vehicle. The author and the review are both stupid !! I hope that no one will let this kids opinion influence their decision on purchasing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. My 97 ZJ has 220K miles and I swear by it as far as performance handling and reliability are concerned. With the 4.5 inch lift and 33inch BFG's It is one tuff looking ride that goes anywhere !!!