RELIABLE WORK HORSE
By jerrymax on
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD
I bought this as a third vehicle. I also have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 1997 Nissan Maxima that I keep on Long Island. I bought the 1997 Grand Cherokee with 138,000 miles on the odometer to keep at my other residence in upstate New York. As with my 1996 model it has been a reliable work horse. My '97 has the SelecTrac system that allows you to shift between RWD and AWD. In AWD it handles upstate winter weather conditions beautifully. The inline-6 engine is noisy but tough as nails. Good as a second (or third) car and local daily driver. A bit bouncy on long trips. No problems to report in first 5000 miles of driving. I recommend using 89 octane fuel rather than regular.
Favorite Features
Go anywhere capability. Classic Jeep look---mine is a dark forest green which looks nice. Reliable engine. Nice size; not too big, not too small.
Suggested Improvements
Put spare tire outside of vehicle (a problem Jeep has since resolved.) Water pumps tend to go bad at around 150000 miles, so I'm told, and this did happen on my '96 model with identical engine.