1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Love my '97, but scared

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Review

Love my '97, but scared of new models
By kevperks on

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Thus far, my 1997 GC Ltd has been amazingly reliable. As expected, after 105,000+ miles, small problems have been showing up the past 6 mos. My latest concern is U-Joints. Prior to that, a leek in the antifreeze line, and three new batteries in 14 mos (obviously, something amiss w/ the electrical system, but no one can figure it out). I've also had rotor issues (others mentioned). Had to have the front and rear replaced. When disengaging from reverse to put it in drive, I find it has problems moving beyond neutral until I do it two or three more times.

Favorite Features

Reliability (thus far). Power: I've towed very full u-hauls without incident over 1000s of miles. Acceleration-yes, acceleration (necessary in larger city traffic). Sound system controls on the steering wheel *** GREAT feature for 10-20 hour trips. Solid handling on snow.

Suggested Improvements

After a brief "honeymoon" I realized the ride felt much more rigid and was louder than my previous vehicle, a truck. The dash lights flicker in cold/damp weather. Some interior parts fell apart w/ limited use (console for glasses & garage door opener-never used, still fell down.