1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Fun offroading and others...

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

TSi 4dr SUV (4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

Fun offroading and others...
By jrobertson on

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

Where do I start, I traded my 92 Camaro Z28 for the 97 Jeep TSi model and noted its capabilty for winter driving right off. It is a good snow/off road vehicle. I bought the vehicle at 36000 miles and to date have racked up 105000 miles. The only major problem that I had was Transmission slipping when the unit got hot. Had put the car into the shop twice with "no trouble found" (had transmission serviced second time for $400). Started slipping 6 months later and this time I burned the transmission out (on purpose). Had the transmission replaced at a cost of $2800 (1 new Jasper transmission and labor). Now it runs smooth as silk. I love it.

Favorite Features

Able to drive the vehicle off road, on the beaches, in the snow and on the road. It is definately an off road vehicle. Great AC (plus the rear pass. do have AC vents, they are under the driver and pass seats).

Suggested Improvements

Rear seating is quite limited and cramped, would have liked to have had more room for my grown kids. When they were little, the room was fine. I certainly hope they worked on that.