1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
buyer beware
By whut wuz I doing on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

I have never wasted so much $ on a worthelss item. ****WARNING**** you will regret buying one & most jeep owners will say i told you so

A Fine Automobile
By spencesdad on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We have loved our Jeep for 4 1/2 years. Our previous Jeeps had been virtually depreciation-proof, so we were shocked at this model's depreciation. At 104k, we are apparently lucky to have had no tranny problems. Ate up several sets of Goodyears before we found Bridgestones which have been awesome. Been hard on front brake pads, but not excessively. Still runs and drives flawlessly, has the most comfortable and durable interior ever. Looks showroom new after six kids! Would love to keep the seats when we finally sell it! We love the way it handles, and handles anything.

no complaints
By argonnichols on 12/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it last year, I've had to replace a few things but that's to be expected in a used car. I don't think a have owned had a better car. It does everything I have asked of it. Last year I had to help my father out with a half fallen tree. We thru a 1 1/2 in rope in the top, and with a little pull the rest came down. Now were not talking about a small tree when it was hit by lighting it stud over 6 stories high. And the part we pulled down made up most of it.

SoFarSoGood
By scwad on 12/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Leased very inexpensively for 36 months. Had 23k when acquired. Getting ready to buy a Mountaineer or turn in. Have had no problems, but hear about all the expensive tranny and brake problems.

Once a Grand Cherokee Doubter
By warreaglpam on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Overall, this has been an excellent vehicle. A couple quality problems at purchase, with stereo and front passenger seat. Quickly replaced. This car has been involved in 2 accidents with significant damage. Quality of repairs by Jeep Dealership excellent. Still a blast to drive and looks great. Interior holding up beautifully at almost 150,000 miles. Only mechanical problem experienced happened at around 144,000 miles: fuel pump. We have gotten a great value in this SUV.

Cheap Jeep
By Sad Jeep Owner on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Brakes and rotors on the vehicle are terrible and undersized. The tranny leaks, rear main leaks, rear end had to be replaced at 80k and I don't even go off road. The paint is thin and fades, chips bad. Tire eater, noisy v- 8 engine. Jarring ride, makes people bounce around.

An old friend.
By Todd Rode on 11/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

The Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is a finely appointed, durable and comfortable vehicle. It has been my primary source of transportation for 5 years and I have found the vehicle to be as fun to drive today as the day I bought it.

Good and Bad Jeep
By jenniferw on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Love the Jeep - BUT, has cost me a lot of money this last year. Bought it used from a dealership 3 yrs ago. This year I needed new pistons b/c they were cracked = $1800. Also needed new U- Joints = $350 and the A/C died over the summer. My husbands 1996 Nissan Maxima has 225k miles and he hasn't had a single problem with it! I'm unloading it soon and buying an import.

Warrantee Magic
By VAB13 on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

All you have to do is spend $2,000 on the extended warrantee like I did. They must have flipped the reliability switch on mine when I paid for it, because in 88,000 miles I've had almost no problems other than 3 (count 'em 3) fuel gauges. I love the car, but talk about depreciation! Never again.

The Grand Cherokee
By mghicks on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I have had no complaints. So far it is i feel secure when driving.