1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
$$$
By SC Rich on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Like to drive it but it has had its problems over the years. Had to replace rear axle differential, and A/C unit. Now it is 6 years old, the ABS system, heated seats, and other misc. items do not work. The factory speaker system is also starting to fail. Would not buy a Jeep again.

Fun offroading and others...
By jrobertson on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

Where do I start, I traded my 92 Camaro Z28 for the 97 Jeep TSi model and noted its capabilty for winter driving right off. It is a good snow/off road vehicle. I bought the vehicle at 36000 miles and to date have racked up 105000 miles. The only major problem that I had was Transmission slipping when the unit got hot. Had put the car into the shop twice with "no trouble found" (had transmission serviced second time for $400). Started slipping 6 months later and this time I burned the transmission out (on purpose). Had the transmission replaced at a cost of $2800 (1 new Jasper transmission and labor). Now it runs smooth as silk. I love it.

Never Again
By rhpenny on 07/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I will never buy another American made car b/c they aren't the type of quaily and dependabilty I am used to with foriegn products.

Great Jeep- I think I'll have another
By darokie13 on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has been a great one! I will deffintely buy another one! I want to sell this one because my needs have changed! Well maybe wants! I plan on buying a camper! after it is paid off I will buy another Jeep!

I bought it for the seats
By Soulgar on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I traded in a 87 4Runner for this car . After sitting in serveral other SUVS , the buckets of this car just screamed BUY ME. So I did. 50k later I'm trading it in . The interior looked great but didn't hold up. The mechanics were jacked too. Changed the water pump 3 times and replaced both the o2 and exaust sensors. The V6 also lost power at around 50k.

A deal despite the warnings
By Tony Ford on 05/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I was warned not to buy a used Jeep because of several problems with wiring and such. So far, at 129000 the worst proble I have had was the squeaky fan belt and occasional slip of the transmission when the fluid got low because of a loose cooler line.

1997 Jeep
By inches on 05/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this vehicle for four years. It does a nice job and is generally reliable. But it seems to wear or at least show wear quickly. Rear end went out at 100K miles.

Sad and disappointed
By Time to trade on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV

I bought this care one year old. I was immediately impressed by the car's comfort and interior styling. It didn't take long before things began to disintegrate, one by one. the dealer just informed me that the entire rear end needs replacing. Estimated cost of another $3000!!!!! I have performed maintenance on this car very religiously. Upkeep has been exhorbitantly expensive and very frequent. I'm not Bill Gates, so i'm trading in.

97 Grand Cherokee
By sfxd on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my third Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have had very positive experiences with all three. This 97 I purchased used from a returning lease. It originally had 22,000. I now have 77000 and have had no major problems. There was one issue with the air conditioning unit last year that was, if you could believe it, still under warranty. Obviously Jeep acknowledged this without a recall and provided a brand new unit with installation at no charge, (If you were under 70,000 miles)

mistake
By sucker bought a jeep on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Worst piece of #$%& I ever owned. Problems @ 25K miles when I was told that the mean time before failure (MTBF) was rated @ 27K miles- very poor.