Used 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

love my Jeep!
By s. anderson

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the 3rd Jeep I've owned in the past 20 years, and while the Laredo was my favorite when I was younger, I've got to say there comes a point when all the bell and whistles are nice to have! I know Jeeps, and I know they need preventative care, Having said that, regular maintenance is not a problem. If you are looking for a quality vehicle, safe, roomy and enjoyable to drive to that cabin in the woods, or skiing, you can't go wrong with the Orvis. Watch out for ignition switch wear, I have learned to have them pulled and replaced at 100k, wear on this can cause automatic shut-down on the vehicle.

Sunroof, stereo, heated seats.

Better hinges on the center console, 2 have broken in 2 different Jeeps.

Going Strong
By Long Time Owner

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my V8 Laredo from the dealership with 17K miles and have almost 200K now. Drove it in Los Angeles for 2 + years then mostly in the mid-west, with frequent cross country trips. This car has held up superbly over time. The body and interior are still in excellent shape. There have been a few standard repairs over the years. The only real problem is the rear axle and bearings; they have had chronic problems since around 100K miles - they need to be rebuilt replaced about every 2+ years which can hurt the wallet. This car has been otherwise excellent in all driving conditions and weather. Very good car for long trips! I'm shooting for 250K miles for sure.

Very comfortable interior and seats. Strong V8 engine has plenty of pep in traffic or for pulling.

I hope they figured out the problems with the rear axle.

Hey they arn't so bad...
By JamiePfef

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Well this was my first car that I paid for myself. I'm currently 19 and have had my Jeep for something like almost 2 years. Its the bright red Laredo that I pretty much see everywhere! I love the look of it, it's very sporty. I bought it from a credible Dodge dealer near me and it had around 80,000 miles on it. I got it for a little over $7,000. It was in perfect condition, everything was working fine. So far I have replaced my water pump and that's pretty much it. My rear parking brake broke off randomly and was clanking around in my wheel, got that taken care of but never fixed my parking brake. So it hasn't been too bad for me.

Love its look...probably the best Jeep body design made.

Improve wheel handling on turns - it gets a bit sketchy.

Excellent Vehicle
By Chetster72

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

This was the first Jeep I had ever purchased. I have been so impressed with the quality and reliability since then, that I have purchased 2 more and kept my original one. They are rugged, comfortable and very reliable. I chose the I6 4.0L motor, it has plenty of power and is one of the most durable ever built.

Full Time AWD is awesome, heated seats, power moonroof, Infinity Stereo, The Orvis model has everything.

Speakers that handle more watts, I have blown out 3 speakers so far. Otherwise, the vehicle has been fantastic, I have owned the first one since '99 and still drive it daily.

These cars last forever
By Mark Paul

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned a previous Jeep Laredo 4WD and had over 208,000 miles on it when I sold it for $2,850.00 last week. This one just turned 200,000 miles and runs perfectly. Very dependable and good looking. Excellent value for the money. I paid $4000.00 for a loaded model and everything works.

Style, power, reliability, 4WD, easy to maintain, great resale value if maintained.

Better AC ducting, needs remote garage door opener built in.