1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
97 Gr Cherokee
By Jhosler on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has been one of the better vehicles I have owned. I do most of the PM on the vehicle, so I know it's done right.The main problem I've found with the vehicle is the exterior paint job from the factory, which easily chips and requires touch-up on a regular basis. I've never owned a vehicle longer than this Jeep, so I guess it says something for my satisfaction with the product.

You really need to want a Jeep!
By You gotta fix it! on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Wife loves the styling. I hate fixing everything. Buy yourself a service manual otherwise you will make the $tealership rich. These vehicles are bought broken and you have to fix them to make them work right.

jeep review
By josh lundy on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

great off road capability but needs to have the reliability problem taken care of.the also need the spare tire put underneath the vehicle.but all in all i love it!!

Jeep grand cherokee limited 5.2
By DNorem on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I've had this Jeep for 3 1/2yrs and had no problems. I have it serviced regularly and change oil religiously. I've had other Jeeps and definately recommend the 5.2L engine. It seems smoother, has more get up and go and pulls a trailer much better.

Jeep
By Derek3237 on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

Nice car to own!

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
By DougNH on 02/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep has been nothing but good to me. I really use it off road plus drive it to work everyday. It's been the perfect vehicle for someone who truly uses their 4WD. In winter, I've driven it through a solid foot + of snow for hundreds of feet and it made it (barely).. try that in a Ford Explorer HA! Great vehicle for the northeast

V8 Ltd. Best SUV
By tevon on 01/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've been in other SUV's and trucks and nothing has been like this vehicle. I have truly enjoyed driving this SUV for the past several years and not had any major repairs or constant worries like you would have with other high mileage vehicles. I purchased the vehicle at 95K miles and in 3 years have added another 60K miles.

Love my '97, but scared of new models
By kevperks on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Thus far, my 1997 GC Ltd has been amazingly reliable. As expected, after 105,000+ miles, small problems have been showing up the past 6 mos. My latest concern is U-Joints. Prior to that, a leek in the antifreeze line, and three new batteries in 14 mos (obviously, something amiss w/ the electrical system, but no one can figure it out). I've also had rotor issues (others mentioned). Had to have the front and rear replaced. When disengaging from reverse to put it in drive, I find it has problems moving beyond neutral until I do it two or three more times.

Jeep Grand Cherokee
By lp1968 on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall a great SUV! This is my second Grand Cherokee, and I have had very few major repairs. I did have to have the tranny overhauled, but that was close to 100,000 miles. The 4x4 is great (I think my 95 was a little better), but for our tough winters it is a must!

Nice Jeep
By alamo889 on 12/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I work on jeeps for a living, so I knew what to expect when I bought mine. Mine has the 4.0L engine. The only thing my Jeep needed when I bought it was an exhaust manifold ( they crack all the time on the 4.0)> Jeeps are high maintainance people! They need alot of T.L.C. You didn`t buy a Toyota. Keep the oil changed every 3k miles, rotate the tires every 6-7k miles (very important on a jeep) and dont beat the vehicle up on the road. Take care of your jeep and more than likely it will take care of you.