1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Great SUV
By SVG on 12/19/04 18:36 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

Everything is great on this SUV. It rides very smoothly and I have never had any mechanical problems with it. Gas isn't bad for an SUV. The options are a very big plus for this SUV.

repairs too much
By Cecil on 12/07/04 17:18 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought one year ago with 68,000 miles. I have put 20,000 miles on it in 12 months. I have had to replace fuel pump for around $600, light sensor for $250, heater blower and heater switch $700. Very concerned about ongoing repairs; these Jeeps seem to be very costly to repair. It also seems to leak a lot of fluids, I have taken it in several times to try and get leaks to stop. Do not like that the tire is inside and takes up space. I would not buy another one.

I love my JGC
By Alaska Violet on 11/28/04 17:51 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

I got a great deal on my 97 Grand Cherokee Limited and I love it! I have owned Subarus for the last 15 years in Alaska, but I am enjoying my Jeep even more. Goes great in snow and ice with no studs. Love the stereo and options galore. Has 97000 miles and my mechanic has found no mechanical problems. I still have to get the driver's heated seat fixed, power not getting there. I will keep this one until it dies, then get another.

Love this Jeep!!!
By Prat on 08/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

Can't believe the deal I got on this Jeep! 97000 miles and it's running stronger than I could have asked. Fuel economy is amazing compared to my father's 4.3 V-6 GMC, I get 25-28mpg on the highway! Handles like a dream, and the Quadratrac is great. There are some squeaks and little rattles, but nothing overly noticeable. Wonderful quality. Love the leather seats, they are soft and comfortable. Tons of room, I'm 6'2" and don't need the driver's seat all the way back. I love this Jeep more every day. I am very confident it will go over 200kmi!

great vehicle
By trailblazer1997 on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Excellent vehicle to drive. Minimal repairs. Good power, well thought out interior,looks great

great car!
By cheryl graham on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

i have enjoyed the car immensely! great for hauling kids & stuff. no major problems. my only issue has been service related. some sort of dealership rearrangement took place and all jeeps were moved from performance to dwanye lane. i have not been particularly impressed with either dwayne lane or town & country service centers. since performance still has jeep proficient service people - i take all non warranty issues to them. all of their service people have been incredibly gracious. their hours are much better, they provide pickup & dropoff driver service & facilitate rentals cars if needed. the only thing that they no longer do is car washing!

Decent for the money.
By kentman on 06/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Reliability has been an issue. Transmission failed at 43K ($2200). Fuel pump failed ($600). Many leaks (trans., axles, oil, etc.). Exhaust header broke ($400). Many check engine lights for sensors (four for pressure sensor and one for oxygen sensor). At 165K miles, it is still driving strong and looks good. I am shooting for 250K miles. If you can stomach repairs, it is a decent vehicle for the money. Build quality is good, and styling is the best. At 165K, it still looks and runs as well as it did when I got it at 34K for $19.5K. If it runs to 250K without any further large component failures, I will buy another one.

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee review
By Billy Johnson on 04/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

grand cherokee has been reliable for the most part.the only major repair i've done is to replace the fuel pump & regulator assembly.I pull a boat with it frequently and the 4 liter engine is a little week for towing, but the performance of the 4 liter has been very good to excellent.The four wheel drive performs great.I've been very pleased with this vehicle, in fact, my wife and I agree that it's the best vehicle we've ever had.We love this vehicle!

Gotta love a Jeep!
By jeepcrazy on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased this jeep in 2001 with 44k miles on it. Just ticked off 119k and it still runs and looks just like it did when I bought it. Have had to put new brakes and such on it but other than the general maintenance stuff I have not spent a dime on it. This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I will probably drive this till the wheels fall off and plan to buy another jeep when that happens!

1997 ltd w/v8
By mkenn363 on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

just a very nice car. VERY COMFORTABLE!!!! sits up tall, goes through anything.V-8 is nice. Great interior, like a plane cockpit....