Used 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Not to bad!!
By Pineman

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep used with 128,000 miles. This one has the Inline 6. I have only put a couple hundred miles on it but it seems to run great. I cant believe how good the body is holding up. No exterior rust yet. The only issue i have with it is the transmission has a very slight leak. When I park I see one or two drops of tranny fluid on the ground. After a tranny flush and new seal, no more leak. In the past I have never been a Chrysler fan and still am not. But this vehicle so far is my exception. I like it and I could NOT pass up the deal I got on it. So far, no major complaints. Overall satisfied. I know several people that got 300,000 miles on the inline 6. Hope I do also.

4X4, sharp looking vehicle. Very easy to do your own maintenance. Handles well. Anytime 4X4. Power windows, door, mirrors. Body seems to hold up well.

Better gas mileage. One thing I dont like is that this vehicle seems to have more engine noise than other vehicles. I hear from others this vehicle is hard on brakes. Well we will see. Interior kind of cheap.

THE TRUE SUV WORK HORSE
By Benjamin B

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Aside from using it as a commuter car, it was used as a utility truck carrying anything from logs to pavers to furniture, etc. A transmission leak was noticed on the 7th year which was never really "fixed" by anyone=although it never gave u a big problem=no breakdowns. Additional minimal problems up until the AC conked out on it's 10th year. Had the freon loaded just to get through the summer. After the winter of 2008, we traded it in for an import. Overall, a very pleasant experience. Very reliable vehicle.

Built and style.

Leaky transmission.

97 Jeep grand
By Dave

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The Jeep was the best auto I ever owned. I have owned over 40 different types of autos, not one can reach he style and grace of my SUV. It looks good under the lights and driving in a blizzard. It is as a safe a high profile vehicle.

Strong and sexy.

sell,sell,sell
By lemon

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Bought last year @148,000 mi. It's a play vehicle and gets about 5000 mi. A year. Have spent money on it from day one. Staring off just trying to make everything perfect. Then I started getting a rear bear nosie. Replaced all rear end bearings. The Carrier bearing was the only one pitted. That didn't fix the the problem. Right rear axle was pitted changed it. That fixed the bearing noise. Then I got a vibration @1600 rpm and on deceleration. Changed u-joints (a waste of $). From what I've read sounds like this is a Major problem that is very hard to trouble shoot (even at a dealer. Don't want to spend any more $ on it. I'm torn between spending and just selling it. I love to drive it but the vibration.

leather steering wheel,looks,leather seats, cockpit,

Jeep needs to man up and if the transmission and rear end problems. High maintenance. Not worth the problems I don't think. Will not buy another one. Only if Jeep would build a better product.

Love it!
By WVJEEPGRL

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV TSi 4dr SUV

Bought the TSI 4 dr with over 200000 miles on it. Everyone loves it. I have alot of cars in my lifetime from a firebird with t-tops to a chevette but nothing comes close to my Jeep!

Seats

Cup holders in back for passengers need to be deeper

• SUV