1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Hey they arn't so bad...
By JamiePfef on 11/07/06 10:45 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Well this was my first car that I paid for myself. I'm currently 19 and have had my Jeep for something like almost 2 years. Its the bright red Laredo that I pretty much see everywhere! I love the look of it, it's very sporty. I bought it from a credible Dodge dealer near me and it had around 80,000 miles on it. I got it for a little over $7,000. It was in perfect condition, everything was working fine. So far I have replaced my water pump and that's pretty much it. My rear parking brake broke off randomly and was clanking around in my wheel, got that taken care of but never fixed my parking brake. So it hasn't been too bad for me.

Excellent Vehicle
By Chetster72 on 10/17/06 15:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

This was the first Jeep I had ever purchased. I have been so impressed with the quality and reliability since then, that I have purchased 2 more and kept my original one. They are rugged, comfortable and very reliable. I chose the I6 4.0L motor, it has plenty of power and is one of the most durable ever built.

These cars last forever
By Mark Paul on 03/12/06 06:43 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned a previous Jeep Laredo 4WD and had over 208,000 miles on it when I sold it for $2,850.00 last week. This one just turned 200,000 miles and runs perfectly. Very dependable and good looking. Excellent value for the money. I paid $4000.00 for a loaded model and everything works.

Accident "first hand"
By Dwayne Rothrock on 01/31/06 12:19 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I was involved in a near head on collision with a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix going high speed on 1/26/06. My Jeep was totaled, but I managed to walk away with no cuts, or broken bones, suffering only neck & back strains. Thanks to Jeep for building such a safe vehicle. You saved my life.

Nice 2 drive...
By bluepenguin on 12/28/05 01:10 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I purchased this used vehicle just about a year ago ... (lol knock on wood) so far ZERO problems . The ONLY thing I can say negative about this SUV is gas usage, but that is an EXPECTED given with driving a large vehicle. Overall so far, I am very happy with this vehicle and would absolutely recommend it.

Love the Orvis
By MQTennis on 12/15/05 19:31 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

Very fun to drive. I like the exterior look of it. The Orvis has a excellent green paint job. Seats are very comfortable. Had to replace the CD player and battery is on its last year. Orvis is not a common car on the street. Drives decent on snowy roads. Some times it slips up in slush due to power and gear ratio. Not good gas mileage. A significant amount of rattles in the rear. 95000 miles and still running strong. All around good vehicle.

Jeep Stinks
By Brad on 12/02/05 22:45 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought a 1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo new in 1997. It was great for 3 years and 38,000 miles and then it turned to junk! Air conditioner went out. Brakes went out. Had to replace pads and turn rotors. Tires wore out. The dealership acted like the never heard of us. $1000 bucks to fix the air and it still only worked half the time. Finally traded it in for an Isuzu Trooper. Isuzu was 10 times better than the Jeep.

maintenance nightmare
By jo on 09/09/05 09:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Only drive 5,700 miles/year. 43,815 miles when I bought in 1999. Replaced differential, power steering pump, rear hatch supports, water pump, power steering pump, manifold, unplugged drain for a/c. Headliner is falling down, door panels coming off. My ABS light stays on and computer shows it to be "ABS pump motor circuit" Normal maintenance items replaced were battery and serpentine belt. Is it me, or is this a high maintenance vehicle? 77,850 miles now.

Good thing I got a warranty!
By jon f. on 06/03/05 17:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

I thought I was getting the perfect used car: less than 70,000 miles and a 3,000 mile powertrain warranty. Turns out I've needed to use the warranty three times already - once to replace the PCM, another to replace a bad steering gear, and now to replace bearings in the front differential - all withing the first month! I'm scared of what will come down the road. It's too bad - I love the truck and it's very good at what it does. It looks great in silver, the leather interior is fantastic and it gets 22-23 mpg at 65mph. Off-road nothing can touch it for the money! If you want one, research the maintenance history and make sure the TSB's were done!

Good bad and ugly
By d strickland on 02/27/05 11:31 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

Very well pleased with the car. It has 123k miles and still runs well. Rear end noise has been a constant problem. Several attempts to repair and did not help. Cockpit very well appointed but needs more room. Very crowded with 4 adults. The ride is comfortable and fun to drive. Exterior paint has held up very well. No serious maintenance problems other than rear end. Sound system is very good but speakers are cheapo's.