1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Where's my gas and oil?
By Jimmy Jim on 07/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

gas mileage blows...and in a 100 mile trip i used 2 quarts of oil...no leak nor smoke so i'd like to know where's my oil?

What a SUV is supposed to be!
By haflerman on 06/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I've tried to get stuck in several wild places with this jeep...to no avail. The 4X4 system on these is the best in the world. Wish I could have said that about my Ford explorer or should I say Exploder-the car has 12 repairs in 1 month. All of them major and over $400 each. Ouch! The vehicle just died at 60k. Not my jeep though. I've driven it over 145,000 miles and have had to do very minor repairs. (Brakes, trans.service, belts, hoses, tires,etc) I plan to drive this car for more than 1,000,000 miles. I believe it will make it.

109500 miles and counting
By oadams on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this jeep since 97 and it has been extremly reliable. Maintenance is the key as with all jeeps. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Watch out for bad O2 sensors
By Riggs on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had to replace both O2 sensors in a span of less than 6 months. Jeeps have two of them. It will cost you over $200 bucks to change each O2 sensor unless you know how to change it yourself. Steering is a problem. When making tight turns the front wheels will shake and pull. Other than that, the Jeeps are a decent vehicle.

Buying a used jeep? Good Luck
By 4wheeler on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

We wish we would have reviewed the listings on the chat rooms before buying. NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH THIS VEHICLE! The transmission is lousy, expect problems!

cheap jeep
By lyn on 05/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

No a/c vents for rear passengers. No cup holders for rear passengers. No hand holder for passengers (roof grips) Rear end noise is so loud you can not hear the radio. Several mechanics have tried and can not lower the noise. Why do american car builders keep putting the fuse panels in such a difficult location........ Jeep leans to much in 30-45 mph turns.

For Sale
By No American Cars on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Jeep was my first American made car out of three cars. It was my most expensive and most disappointed investment. It is fun to drive and has a great look, but don't judge a book by its cover. I have had brake problems from day one. My horn use to go off for no reason, my check engine light is on for no apparent reason, and my rear differential is shot! I have fixed most of those things and intending to sell right away for a killer price...only $8K.

Jeep Cherokee Review
By jeeplover on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I have owned this vehicle for two years and have never experienced any problems. I maintain the vehicle, and have always had excellent service, it is dependable and used for work and farm use.

Jeep Cherokee Review
By JeepLover on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Outstanding Vehicle
By automan on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car used with 22000 miles and have driven 44000 since then. Ride is very comfortable on long road trips as well as in urban setting. Fuel economy on the highway is good at about 23 miles per gallon but get only about 17 in an urban-highway mix. Car has had no mechanical problems since I bought it. This car has the V-8 engine and it is very powerful - that probably is why gas mileage is as it is. i would recommend this model to anyone interested and particularly for off- road and hauling (trailer).