Used 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

repairs too much
By Cecil

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought one year ago with 68,000 miles. I have put 20,000 miles on it in 12 months. I have had to replace fuel pump for around $600, light sensor for $250, heater blower and heater switch $700. Very concerned about ongoing repairs; these Jeeps seem to be very costly to repair. It also seems to leak a lot of fluids, I have taken it in several times to try and get leaks to stop. Do not like that the tire is inside and takes up space. I would not buy another one.

4x4 and it pulls wells.

Well, too late to improve the 1997 and not sure how the new ones are!

I love my JGC
By Alaska Violet

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

I got a great deal on my 97 Grand Cherokee Limited and I love it! I have owned Subarus for the last 15 years in Alaska, but I am enjoying my Jeep even more. Goes great in snow and ice with no studs. Love the stereo and options galore. Has 97000 miles and my mechanic has found no mechanical problems. I still have to get the driver's heated seat fixed, power not getting there. I will keep this one until it dies, then get another.

Electric sunroof, leather seats are comfy, stereo controls on the steering wheel, lots of head room, I finally sit up high.

Move the spare underneath, a bit more leg room in the back seat.

Love this Jeep!!!
By Prat

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

Can't believe the deal I got on this Jeep! 97000 miles and it's running stronger than I could have asked. Fuel economy is amazing compared to my father's 4.3 V-6 GMC, I get 25-28mpg on the highway! Handles like a dream, and the Quadratrac is great. There are some squeaks and little rattles, but nothing overly noticeable. Wonderful quality. Love the leather seats, they are soft and comfortable. Tons of room, I'm 6'2" and don't need the driver's seat all the way back. I love this Jeep more every day. I am very confident it will go over 200kmi!

SUNROOF!!! Leather, Quadratrac Tons of room. Sound system is great. Towing capability, power from I-6 is superb

More rear cargo room, easier rear seat folding. Chrysler's notorious tranny probs....how many years has it been???

great vehicle
By trailblazer1997

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Excellent vehicle to drive. Minimal repairs. Good power, well thought out interior,looks great

Stronger AC

great car!
By cheryl graham

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

i have enjoyed the car immensely! great for hauling kids & stuff. no major problems. my only issue has been service related. some sort of dealership rearrangement took place and all jeeps were moved from performance to dwanye lane. i have not been particularly impressed with either dwayne lane or town & country service centers. since performance still has jeep proficient service people - i take all non warranty issues to them. all of their service people have been incredibly gracious. their hours are much better, they provide pickup & dropoff driver service & facilitate rentals cars if needed. the only thing that they no longer do is car washing!

see above - all of my issues are service center related.

• SUV