1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Not Bad For A Ladies Car!
By Jumpjak on 10/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

We live in Pennsylvania and my wife needed something besides a Monte Carlo Super Sport to drive on slippery roads. She purchased this Jeep and loves it! I'm trying to talk her into a Trail Blazer, but I may see another Jeep arriving. It has 46,000 miles and hasn't been back to the garage once. Six cylinder gets over 25 mph which she loves. It's not my cup of tea, as I drive Chevy Silverados but she swears by it.

Will never own another Jeep
By EBJ on 09/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Purchased new in Jan 1997, ran out of gas Feb 1997 due to inoperative gas gauge. Brakes, replaced, windshield leak, repreated visits to dealership to no avail. Currently in 2002, new brakes again $400.00. March, transmission went. Since truck was over 3 years, no help from Daimler- Chrsyler; cost $4,000.00. August 2002, turn signal, winshield wiper computer gone; $200 repair. Sept 2002, fuel pump in the gas tank had to be replaced; $500 repair. It seems that Daimler has done little to improve Chrysler's product. If you plan to purchase a JEEP, buyer beware.

Jeep Grand Cherekee 4WD V8 Limited
By td on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

The jeep is a mixed bag. First hand it is great for towing and offroading. It also looks the best in my opinion of every other mid size suv out there. However the jeep has some very noticeable quirks. I've had to replace the brakes repeatedly because of poor engineering allowing the brake routers to get heat cracked. It has also suffered from a lot of other issues as well, and always needs some type of maintenance.

Lemon with a golden wrapper
By Brooks on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have been almost anal with the up- keep of this car. I have followed the manual and performed every service recommended to the letter, but it has been nothing but problems in return. I know 4 other people, besides myself that have owned upper end Grand Cherokees or Loredos and not one of us would ever buy another one. Every time I have taken it to a shop and talked about the problems I have experienced, the mechanics confirm my frustrations by agreeing that this is not a reliable car.

jeep grand cherokee
By spinelli on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This jeep has been my baby for the past 5 years and I LOVE it...it is comfortable and safe and secure. The exterior color is black and the interior is a charcoal grey. It has never been in an accident or broken dow. It has also been very reliable.

I love my Jeep!
By Ms Suzi Q on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I purchased this Jeep used and with 145K miles on it. The only repair I've had to make was to replace the water pump, which cost a whopping $23. I saved on labor by having a relative do the work. The Jeep is very comfortable and has the feel of a car. I have owned other SUV's and this is by far the best one I've had. I put a lot of miles on my vehicles and reliability is a big issue. 13K miles and 7 months later, it's still going strong!

Capable off-roader with a few Quirks...
By ebayauctions on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

Its been a joy to drive,and ive fallen in love with it...but these vehicles are plagued with various mechanical issues which would make them better for someone with mechanical expertise.

Worth The Small Headaches...
By jeepo on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 5.2 V8 in late 2001 and have put 10K miles on it since. In that time I have grown to love this vehicle despite its quirks. The most common problem across the board is bad differentials which cause a loud growl or whining noise when bad. Other than that,my only problems have been a bad IAC motor($90)and a steering dampener and Catalyst,probably about $700 total. Not bad for a vehicle that has over 100K on it! Nice interiors,but cheap parts overshadow this,not good for a 35000+ vehicle.These are capable offroad vehicles that will reward you if you take care of them. You MUST keep on a strict maintenance schedule to avoid problems.

Own one and youll understand...
By JeepinKansas on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle from a Jeep dealer at 90K miles in 2001,It now has 100K and Ive mostly LOVED it.I have the Q-Trac/V8 Setup and my trans vibes a bit when shifting to 3rd,the rear end is also very NOISY(growls).80% of Grand's experience the rear diff bearing problem.Mine was even replaced in 98.That aside,I fixed a $90 IAC and now my Catalyst and Steering Dampener need replaced.Not bad for 100,250 miles. Biggest complaint? Interior Quality.These vehicles arent cheap and dealing with such a spotty interior is rediculous.Was going for a 99 or 00 but they have SEVERE problems,perhaps a 98 5.9 Limited will fit the bill,or ill wait for the 02s to come down.

Great but poor fuel economy
By e123499 on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

The Jeep is a great vehicle. Pretty reliable, very comfortable, and very nice looking. The V6 is definitly powerful enough for everday driving but if your looking to tow, go for the V8. The only thing I would have to say that is bad about this vehicle is the fuel economy, everything else is great. And yes there ARE cup holders in the back seat.