Used 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

great car!
By cheryl graham

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

i have enjoyed the car immensely! great for hauling kids & stuff. no major problems. my only issue has been service related. some sort of dealership rearrangement took place and all jeeps were moved from performance to dwanye lane. i have not been particularly impressed with either dwayne lane or town & country service centers. since performance still has jeep proficient service people - i take all non warranty issues to them. all of their service people have been incredibly gracious. their hours are much better, they provide pickup & dropoff driver service & facilitate rentals cars if needed. the only thing that they no longer do is car washing!

Suggested Improvements

see above - all of my issues are service center related.

Decent for the money.
By kentman

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Reliability has been an issue. Transmission failed at 43K ($2200). Fuel pump failed ($600). Many leaks (trans., axles, oil, etc.). Exhaust header broke ($400). Many check engine lights for sensors (four for pressure sensor and one for oxygen sensor). At 165K miles, it is still driving strong and looks good. I am shooting for 250K miles. If you can stomach repairs, it is a decent vehicle for the money. Build quality is good, and styling is the best. At 165K, it still looks and runs as well as it did when I got it at 34K for $19.5K. If it runs to 250K without any further large component failures, I will buy another one.

Favorite Features

Exterior Styling Durability Quality of Components

Suggested Improvements

Transmissions Are An Issue Sensors Die Too Readily Fuel Pump Failures

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee review
By Billy Johnson

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

grand cherokee has been reliable for the most part.the only major repair i've done is to replace the fuel pump & regulator assembly.I pull a boat with it frequently and the 4 liter engine is a little week for towing, but the performance of the 4 liter has been very good to excellent.The four wheel drive performs great.I've been very pleased with this vehicle, in fact, my wife and I agree that it's the best vehicle we've ever had.We love this vehicle!

Favorite Features

premium sound system is the best i've ever had.Interior design is sharp and well organized.A little stiff ride but overall is comfortable on trips.Very dependable and reliable

Suggested Improvements

four wheel drive shifter is confusing to use.Lower body clading fades,rear seats a little shy on leg room.A pain to remove head rest's to fold down rear seats

Gotta love a Jeep!
By jeepcrazy

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased this jeep in 2001 with 44k miles on it. Just ticked off 119k and it still runs and looks just like it did when I bought it. Have had to put new brakes and such on it but other than the general maintenance stuff I have not spent a dime on it. This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I will probably drive this till the wheels fall off and plan to buy another jeep when that happens!

Favorite Features

4X4, Comfortable ride, dependable

Suggested Improvements

move the spare tire so that it does not take up cargo space. enable auto locks to unlock when the vehicle is turned off... (they have done both of these things in the newer models)

1997 ltd w/v8
By mkenn363

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

just a very nice car. VERY COMFORTABLE!!!! sits up tall, goes through anything.V-8 is nice. Great interior, like a plane cockpit....

Favorite Features

radio looks v-8 nice comfortable leather seats

Suggested Improvements

we had trouble with the stabilizing bar coming loose, which gave the steering a loose feel...kept getting it repaired, and finally it seemed to work right which made it much nicer firmer feel to drive