Used 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SUV Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo 2x4
By Joshua Bagby

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I inherited this truck with 193,000 I travel 50 miles a day to work and back home so 25&25 I work 50hrs a week 5-6 days a week. Now at 196,000 miles in only months I just spent $500.00 to repair 2 transmission leaks and 5/6 cylinders were misfiring all repaired for 500.00 engine was recently rebuilt so that's a plus but the truck will shake in the rear and then stall out and I was told this is occurring because the Computer is not sending the proper codes to the vehicle which is causing the issue I found the computer for the truck online 350.00 trucks and install is unknown so I would have to say I have 2 options prepare to put out nearly 3000,00 for a transmission rebuild and computer change out or selling as is this vehicle is only valued at 2000,00 with the engine rebuild and transmission rebuild so when all is said and done this truck is a long term money pit. that I am really not interested in paying out for.

"Bullet Proof?????!!!!!" ...I think NOT!!!
By ACM

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

***Let me preface this review by stating that this vehicle was well maintained, not abused, before and after I bought it*** I've owned my 97 Grand Cherokee Laredo for 5 years now and it has been, by far, the worst vehicle I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot). Let's start with the... Exterior: mine is the green/gold color and the paint has been peeling off of the top and hood since before I bought it (primer failure/paint defect). The driver's door hinge is worn out and the door sags. I went through an automated car wash and the clear plastic face of both head headlights fell off (?!) so I had to replace them. Safety Issues: There is a factory recall because of a chance of the Jeep exploding if hit from the rear (?!) Electrical Issues: The Crankshaft Position Sensor failed (also a common issue with these Jeeps) and left me stranded on a secluded stretch of road for 4 hours - my mechanic thought it was the fuel pump, so I ended up buying a fuel pump AND the CPS. The Jeep developed an issue where it would sporadically stall (usually at the LEAST convenient time and location) and wouldn't crank back up for 2 minutes. After replacing multiple parts over the course of 8 1/2 months and almost getting killed several times as it stalled in the middle of a busy intersection, it was determined that there was a bad connection with a wiring harness that plugs into the Powertrain Control Module (also a design flaw). A series of zip ties and wooden wedges behind the PCM fixed that problem. The instrument lights flicker off and on while driving with the lights on, because of loose electrical connection somewhere. The AC fan only works on the 3 lowest settings (not on High) unless you jiggle the wiring harness behind the glove compartment. Drivetrain: I had to replace the rear axle because the carrier bearing housing broke (and apparently this is common on these jeeps). The transmission slips and leaks. I had to replace the water pump twice, the cooling fan twice and the radiator. I've replaced the starter twice. The freeze plug on the back of the head developed a small leak that I didn't catch until the Jeep ran hot and blew the head gasket and cracked the head (I was in the middle of a long bridge and couldn't pull over). This head freeze plug rusting out is also (supposedly) a design flaw with the 4.0... something about the factory casting sand getting lodged around it, causing it to rust. Other: the carpet on the passenger floorboard is constantly wet because of a design flaw with the ac condenser drain tube. All 5 of the door lock actuators (rear lift gate too) stopped working/disintegrated because they are cheaply made. ...I'm sure I've missed something... there has been so much I've been through with this Jeep... never again will I own a Chrysler product. My Ford Expedition - same year (97) with 250k+ miles... I've owned it for 13 years and I'VE REPLACED THE SPARK PLUGS AND WIRES!!! PERIOD!!!

Impressed with the 4.0
By BBull

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Purchased used in 98 with 28K miles, still driving with 242K. Very impressed with the inline 6. Have replaced water pump, EX manifold, computer, etc. mostly myself for low cost. Trans rebuild at 152K. Recently changed idle air control valve and throttle body sensor; got back to average 19MPG in city & 23 MPG HWY. Solid engine, would recommend the inline 6 and would buy again but this one is till running literally like it was 12 years ago.

Reliability/dependability of the 4.0 inline 6 cyl, easy low cost to maintain and repair

AC has condensation drain problems. Slightly heavy, hard on tires.

Can't expect much more
By Bull

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought in 98 to replace small pick-up, smart buy; still primary vehicle. Have 240K and it literally runs like it did, with little effort. Inline 6 is awesome engine. Around 225K gas mileage began to fall, didn't run smooth. Changed idle air control valve sensor and throttle body sensor (both less than $80) and got back its original mileage & performance. Had trans rebuilt @162K, changed radiator, water pump, some other minor I did myself. The inline 6 is a good buy. Friend has 96 with 483K still running & driving.

Straight 6 is virtually bullet proof, delivers good HP, and easy to maintain. If/when repairs are needed costs less than most other vehicles.

Sensors and interior can't hold up to what the engine can.

220,000 miles and still going !!!!!
By Shane

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I have had my jeep over 10 years no major problems...just minor things...very comfortable...I have 220,000 miles and still going...I want a newer one but I just want to see how long this one will last...highly recommend one...

very dependable...very soft seats...body has held up very well...paint also..

gas mileage not so good...headliner falls down...