1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Impressed with the 4.0
By BBull on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Purchased used in 98 with 28K miles, still driving with 242K. Very impressed with the inline 6. Have replaced water pump, EX manifold, computer, etc. mostly myself for low cost. Trans rebuild at 152K. Recently changed idle air control valve and throttle body sensor; got back to average 19MPG in city & 23 MPG HWY. Solid engine, would recommend the inline 6 and would buy again but this one is till running literally like it was 12 years ago.

Can't expect much more
By Bull on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought in 98 to replace small pick-up, smart buy; still primary vehicle. Have 240K and it literally runs like it did, with little effort. Inline 6 is awesome engine. Around 225K gas mileage began to fall, didn't run smooth. Changed idle air control valve sensor and throttle body sensor (both less than $80) and got back its original mileage & performance. Had trans rebuilt @162K, changed radiator, water pump, some other minor I did myself. The inline 6 is a good buy. Friend has 96 with 483K still running & driving.

220,000 miles and still going !!!!!
By Shane on 10/10/09 13:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I have had my jeep over 10 years no major problems...just minor things...very comfortable...I have 220,000 miles and still going...I want a newer one but I just want to see how long this one will last...highly recommend one...

Wife displeased
By RFBookman on 08/27/08 10:38 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought new in 1996, was initially pleased. Had to have radio replaced under warranty but was fairly problem free until the rear end needed replacing. Mechanic said that gearing was misaligned from the factory and it was only a matter of time until it went out. Had other small intermittent problems. Then the computer unit went out. It took Jeep dealer about 3 months to find the problem. We would take it in and they would give it back saying they could not find any problem. It would have same problem and we would take it in only to start the cycle again. Wife who drives vehicle says we will never buy another Jeep. Plan on replacing it soon with import.

Nice 2 drive...
By bluepenguin on 12/28/05 01:10 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I purchased this used vehicle just about a year ago ... (lol knock on wood) so far ZERO problems . The ONLY thing I can say negative about this SUV is gas usage, but that is an EXPECTED given with driving a large vehicle. Overall so far, I am very happy with this vehicle and would absolutely recommend it.

Jeep Stinks
By Brad on 12/02/05 22:45 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought a 1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo new in 1997. It was great for 3 years and 38,000 miles and then it turned to junk! Air conditioner went out. Brakes went out. Had to replace pads and turn rotors. Tires wore out. The dealership acted like the never heard of us. $1000 bucks to fix the air and it still only worked half the time. Finally traded it in for an Isuzu Trooper. Isuzu was 10 times better than the Jeep.

maintenance nightmare
By jo on 09/09/05 09:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Only drive 5,700 miles/year. 43,815 miles when I bought in 1999. Replaced differential, power steering pump, rear hatch supports, water pump, power steering pump, manifold, unplugged drain for a/c. Headliner is falling down, door panels coming off. My ABS light stays on and computer shows it to be "ABS pump motor circuit" Normal maintenance items replaced were battery and serpentine belt. Is it me, or is this a high maintenance vehicle? 77,850 miles now.

Nice Jeep
By alamo889 on 12/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I work on jeeps for a living, so I knew what to expect when I bought mine. Mine has the 4.0L engine. The only thing my Jeep needed when I bought it was an exhaust manifold ( they crack all the time on the 4.0)> Jeeps are high maintainance people! They need alot of T.L.C. You didn`t buy a Toyota. Keep the oil changed every 3k miles, rotate the tires every 6-7k miles (very important on a jeep) and dont beat the vehicle up on the road. Take care of your jeep and more than likely it will take care of you.

Jeeps are awesome!!!
By Dave Bellan on 10/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Jeeps are so awesome, they are they best SUV around in my opinion. Everyone should look into purchasing some sort of Jeep in they're life to test it out and feel the enjoyment.

Quality SUV
By Good Buy on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Had it new since '97, and I have few complaints. Motor does seem slightly tired, but that's understandable. Belts squeak a bit, and tranny slips a bit at times, but only momentarily. Bottom line: a well-conceived and designed SUV that lived up to its billing as the best SUV value out there at the time of purchase. I've driven it daily since purchase, and towed a small boat at least a couple hundred times without any major mechanical issues.