1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Great 1st car
By ro88i3 on 11/19/13 19:56 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

I saved up and bought this jeep with 168,000. It had a major transmission leak and oil leak but with some seals and elbow grease they were fixed. The heated seats and rear wiper are still not working. The sunroof doesnt work but the engine and 4wd system works amazing. I can go down muddy roads while sitting in the comfortable leather seats and listen to the radio. It had 3!!! blown speakers when i bought it. I love the jeep and ill keep it forever! The only thing that I dont like about it is the MPG 15 at best. WOW!

Bad Rear Differential
By eric on 12/12/08 18:05 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this drift-wood colored V8 Orvis at 55000mi, and have put 113000 more on it. Brakes are a bit weak. Careful driving helps a lot. I occasionally haul light utility trailer-loads and have replaced rear differential at 75 and 160 miles. A/C controller went at 150 miles. Lift gate sprung leaks, causing light/alarm problems. E-Brake very weak. Can drive easily with it engaged. Engine still strong. Tranny original. Body very good. Some interior screws work loose. One and 1/2 speakers blown. Rear wiper frozen forever. Good truck to 140,000. Fuel mileage 13 US city, 19 at 75 mph, measured. Paint/exterior holding up really well. exhaust and entire front- end original (one link replaced at 94)

Great Jeep
By supercoolslug on 06/08/08 15:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first jeep iv ever owned, and so far its lived up to its hype. bought it at 68,000 and its currently at 70,000. Only problem I've ever had was the first week when my check engine light came on, but a free O2 sensor from the dealership fixed that. The powerful V8 makes it one of the fastest SUVs on the road, even after over 10 years. Although the interior colors aren't my favorite, it's unique and never see anything like it. Seats are very comfortable in the front, in the back its a different story, with very little leg room.

love my Jeep!
By s. anderson on 01/10/07 05:17 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the 3rd Jeep I've owned in the past 20 years, and while the Laredo was my favorite when I was younger, I've got to say there comes a point when all the bell and whistles are nice to have! I know Jeeps, and I know they need preventative care, Having said that, regular maintenance is not a problem. If you are looking for a quality vehicle, safe, roomy and enjoyable to drive to that cabin in the woods, or skiing, you can't go wrong with the Orvis. Watch out for ignition switch wear, I have learned to have them pulled and replaced at 100k, wear on this can cause automatic shut-down on the vehicle.

Excellent Vehicle
By Chetster72 on 10/17/06 15:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

This was the first Jeep I had ever purchased. I have been so impressed with the quality and reliability since then, that I have purchased 2 more and kept my original one. They are rugged, comfortable and very reliable. I chose the I6 4.0L motor, it has plenty of power and is one of the most durable ever built.

Love the Orvis
By MQTennis on 12/15/05 19:31 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

Very fun to drive. I like the exterior look of it. The Orvis has a excellent green paint job. Seats are very comfortable. Had to replace the CD player and battery is on its last year. Orvis is not a common car on the street. Drives decent on snowy roads. Some times it slips up in slush due to power and gear ratio. Not good gas mileage. A significant amount of rattles in the rear. 95000 miles and still running strong. All around good vehicle.

I love my JGC
By Alaska Violet on 11/28/04 17:51 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

I got a great deal on my 97 Grand Cherokee Limited and I love it! I have owned Subarus for the last 15 years in Alaska, but I am enjoying my Jeep even more. Goes great in snow and ice with no studs. Love the stereo and options galore. Has 97000 miles and my mechanic has found no mechanical problems. I still have to get the driver's heated seat fixed, power not getting there. I will keep this one until it dies, then get another.