Used 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo 2x4
By Joshua Bagby

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I inherited this truck with 193,000 I travel 50 miles a day to work and back home so 25&25 I work 50hrs a week 5-6 days a week. Now at 196,000 miles in only months I just spent $500.00 to repair 2 transmission leaks and 5/6 cylinders were misfiring all repaired for 500.00 engine was recently rebuilt so that's a plus but the truck will shake in the rear and then stall out and I was told this is occurring because the Computer is not sending the proper codes to the vehicle which is causing the issue I found the computer for the truck online 350.00 trucks and install is unknown so I would have to say I have 2 options prepare to put out nearly 3000,00 for a transmission rebuild and computer change out or selling as is this vehicle is only valued at 2000,00 with the engine rebuild and transmission rebuild so when all is said and done this truck is a long term money pit. that I am really not interested in paying out for.

Jeep
By Brandon

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Well this jeep is highly dependable, but there are quite a few sensors that tend to go bad and cause it to stall/lose power/misfire. Main things I have had to replace are Crankshaft Position sensor, fuel pump, and Idle air control valve. Gas mileage is great for a 1997 SUV. If you own one make sure you do a lot of research if something is going wrong with it. I have found tons of help from jeep forums guiding me to what my problem is.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!
By Leslie

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

This jeep has put me through hell. It's my first car and I got it for a great price, and now I see why. Car stalls constantly. Replaced the starter for $90 to figure out it was just a wire pinched for the alarm system. throttle position sensor replaced for no reason at all $80. Doesn't run in weather under 60°. Gas mileage is a JOKE. 2 speakers blow, 1 on its way, and I wouldn't be surprised if the 4th started going soon. Radio barely picks up a signal. Runs amazing on certain days, however my 1st to 2nd shift is very rough, and revs up to 4000+ when pushed too hard. DO NOT invest in this hunk of junk. Save your money, it's an unreliable never ending headache.

"Bullet Proof?????!!!!!" ...I think NOT!!!
By ACM

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

***Let me preface this review by stating that this vehicle was well maintained, not abused, before and after I bought it*** I've owned my 97 Grand Cherokee Laredo for 5 years now and it has been, by far, the worst vehicle I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot). Let's start with the... Exterior: mine is the green/gold color and the paint has been peeling off of the top and hood since before I bought it (primer failure/paint defect). The driver's door hinge is worn out and the door sags. I went through an automated car wash and the clear plastic face of both head headlights fell off (?!) so I had to replace them. Safety Issues: There is a factory recall because of a chance of the Jeep exploding if hit from the rear (?!) Electrical Issues: The Crankshaft Position Sensor failed (also a common issue with these Jeeps) and left me stranded on a secluded stretch of road for 4 hours - my mechanic thought it was the fuel pump, so I ended up buying a fuel pump AND the CPS. The Jeep developed an issue where it would sporadically stall (usually at the LEAST convenient time and location) and wouldn't crank back up for 2 minutes. After replacing multiple parts over the course of 8 1/2 months and almost getting killed several times as it stalled in the middle of a busy intersection, it was determined that there was a bad connection with a wiring harness that plugs into the Powertrain Control Module (also a design flaw). A series of zip ties and wooden wedges behind the PCM fixed that problem. The instrument lights flicker off and on while driving with the lights on, because of loose electrical connection somewhere. The AC fan only works on the 3 lowest settings (not on High) unless you jiggle the wiring harness behind the glove compartment. Drivetrain: I had to replace the rear axle because the carrier bearing housing broke (and apparently this is common on these jeeps). The transmission slips and leaks. I had to replace the water pump twice, the cooling fan twice and the radiator. I've replaced the starter twice. The freeze plug on the back of the head developed a small leak that I didn't catch until the Jeep ran hot and blew the head gasket and cracked the head (I was in the middle of a long bridge and couldn't pull over). This head freeze plug rusting out is also (supposedly) a design flaw with the 4.0... something about the factory casting sand getting lodged around it, causing it to rust. Other: the carpet on the passenger floorboard is constantly wet because of a design flaw with the ac condenser drain tube. All 5 of the door lock actuators (rear lift gate too) stopped working/disintegrated because they are cheaply made. ...I'm sure I've missed something... there has been so much I've been through with this Jeep... never again will I own a Chrysler product. My Ford Expedition - same year (97) with 250k+ miles... I've owned it for 13 years and I'VE REPLACED THE SPARK PLUGS AND WIRES!!! PERIOD!!!

Great 1st car
By ro88i3

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

I saved up and bought this jeep with 168,000. It had a major transmission leak and oil leak but with some seals and elbow grease they were fixed. The heated seats and rear wiper are still not working. The sunroof doesnt work but the engine and 4wd system works amazing. I can go down muddy roads while sitting in the comfortable leather seats and listen to the radio. It had 3!!! blown speakers when i bought it. I love the jeep and ill keep it forever! The only thing that I dont like about it is the MPG 15 at best. WOW!

Leather seats POWER 4wd system Nice feel of the interior

Make it more efficient get some better seals put the tire somewhere else better quality speakers redesign the heated seats and rear wiper