Used 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

reliable
By Perian Dunmire

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

I bought it from a private owner. It has approximately 130,000 miles. Drives well. It does not have very good mpg. As it is a v8. I have put brakes on it and new a. C. I feel it is a reliable vehicle, but with the unsure gas prices, it is scary.

The sound system is excellant. the wheels are top-notch. also has a sunroof. lots of power. plus, power everything.

Do have or have had problems with the computer system. It tells you something is wrong and it isn't.

sell,sell,sell
By lemon

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

Bought last year @148,000 mi. It's a play vehicle and gets about 5000 mi. A year. Have spent money on it from day one. Staring off just trying to make everything perfect. Then I started getting a rear bear nosie. Replaced all rear end bearings. The Carrier bearing was the only one pitted. That didn't fix the the problem. Right rear axle was pitted changed it. That fixed the bearing noise. Then I got a vibration @1600 rpm and on deceleration. Changed u-joints (a waste of $). From what I've read sounds like this is a Major problem that is very hard to trouble shoot (even at a dealer. Don't want to spend any more $ on it. I'm torn between spending and just selling it. I love to drive it but the vibration.

leather steering wheel,looks,leather seats, cockpit,

Jeep needs to man up and if the transmission and rear end problems. High maintenance. Not worth the problems I don't think. Will not buy another one. Only if Jeep would build a better product.

1997 ltd w/v8
By mkenn363

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

just a very nice car. VERY COMFORTABLE!!!! sits up tall, goes through anything.V-8 is nice. Great interior, like a plane cockpit....

radio looks v-8 nice comfortable leather seats

we had trouble with the stabilizing bar coming loose, which gave the steering a loose feel...kept getting it repaired, and finally it seemed to work right which made it much nicer firmer feel to drive

Jeep grand cherokee limited 5.2
By DNorem

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

I've had this Jeep for 3 1/2yrs and had no problems. I have it serviced regularly and change oil religiously. I've had other Jeeps and definately recommend the 5.2L engine. It seems smoother, has more get up and go and pulls a trailer much better.

The interior is comfortable and loaded with options. Great for trailering.

Brakes - They seem to go through the brakes. Also, on both of my Jeep's, the lower side panels seem to get a lot of dings from the tires kicking stuff up. Improved ride - They ride a little rough.

Jeep Cherokee Review
By JeepLover

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

I have owned this vehicle for two years and have never experienced any problems. I maintain the vehicle, and have always had excellent service, it is dependable and used for work and farm use.

comfort, reliability, performance