Used 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Great 1st car
By ro88i3

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

I saved up and bought this jeep with 168,000. It had a major transmission leak and oil leak but with some seals and elbow grease they were fixed. The heated seats and rear wiper are still not working. The sunroof doesnt work but the engine and 4wd system works amazing. I can go down muddy roads while sitting in the comfortable leather seats and listen to the radio. It had 3!!! blown speakers when i bought it. I love the jeep and ill keep it forever! The only thing that I dont like about it is the MPG 15 at best. WOW!

Leather seats POWER 4wd system Nice feel of the interior

Make it more efficient get some better seals put the tire somewhere else better quality speakers redesign the heated seats and rear wiper

Bad Rear Differential
By eric

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this drift-wood colored V8 Orvis at 55000mi, and have put 113000 more on it. Brakes are a bit weak. Careful driving helps a lot. I occasionally haul light utility trailer-loads and have replaced rear differential at 75 and 160 miles. A/C controller went at 150 miles. Lift gate sprung leaks, causing light/alarm problems. E-Brake very weak. Can drive easily with it engaged. Engine still strong. Tranny original. Body very good. Some interior screws work loose. One and 1/2 speakers blown. Rear wiper frozen forever. Good truck to 140,000. Fuel mileage 13 US city, 19 at 75 mph, measured. Paint/exterior holding up really well. exhaust and entire front- end original (one link replaced at 94)

Very nice looking truck. Interior easy to reconfigure for utility loads, long wood/saws/tools. Interior colors are attractive/unique. comfortable front seats, back seats are decent but not the best leg room (though it is a mid- size SUV). Original shocks just finally weakening. Quite easy to park.

The post '99 diff. should be retro- fitted. A better functioning tranny. Stronger console. Higher build quality eg. lift-gate/rear wiper/memory computer/E-brake/front brakes/rear differential/shifter/overdrive system and the button placement for it.

Great Jeep
By supercoolslug

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first jeep iv ever owned, and so far its lived up to its hype. bought it at 68,000 and its currently at 70,000. Only problem I've ever had was the first week when my check engine light came on, but a free O2 sensor from the dealership fixed that. The powerful V8 makes it one of the fastest SUVs on the road, even after over 10 years. Although the interior colors aren't my favorite, it's unique and never see anything like it. Seats are very comfortable in the front, in the back its a different story, with very little leg room.

My favorite feature is its very powerful V8, it outperforms almost any suv on the road. Power everything, along with sunroof and very comfortable seats. Although i don't LOVE the all time running 4wd, it's handy at times.

Add leg room to the rear seats. Speakers seem to blow out frequent, had to replace one right as i bought the car, and another one has already blown.

love my Jeep!
By s. anderson

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the 3rd Jeep I've owned in the past 20 years, and while the Laredo was my favorite when I was younger, I've got to say there comes a point when all the bell and whistles are nice to have! I know Jeeps, and I know they need preventative care, Having said that, regular maintenance is not a problem. If you are looking for a quality vehicle, safe, roomy and enjoyable to drive to that cabin in the woods, or skiing, you can't go wrong with the Orvis. Watch out for ignition switch wear, I have learned to have them pulled and replaced at 100k, wear on this can cause automatic shut-down on the vehicle.

Sunroof, stereo, heated seats.

Better hinges on the center console, 2 have broken in 2 different Jeeps.

Excellent Vehicle
By Chetster72

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

This was the first Jeep I had ever purchased. I have been so impressed with the quality and reliability since then, that I have purchased 2 more and kept my original one. They are rugged, comfortable and very reliable. I chose the I6 4.0L motor, it has plenty of power and is one of the most durable ever built.

Full Time AWD is awesome, heated seats, power moonroof, Infinity Stereo, The Orvis model has everything.

Speakers that handle more watts, I have blown out 3 speakers so far. Otherwise, the vehicle has been fantastic, I have owned the first one since '99 and still drive it daily.