Used 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Impressed with the 4.0
By BBull

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Purchased used in 98 with 28K miles, still driving with 242K. Very impressed with the inline 6. Have replaced water pump, EX manifold, computer, etc. mostly myself for low cost. Trans rebuild at 152K. Recently changed idle air control valve and throttle body sensor; got back to average 19MPG in city & 23 MPG HWY. Solid engine, would recommend the inline 6 and would buy again but this one is till running literally like it was 12 years ago.

Favorite Features

Reliability/dependability of the 4.0 inline 6 cyl, easy low cost to maintain and repair

Suggested Improvements

AC has condensation drain problems. Slightly heavy, hard on tires.

Can't expect much more
By Bull

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought in 98 to replace small pick-up, smart buy; still primary vehicle. Have 240K and it literally runs like it did, with little effort. Inline 6 is awesome engine. Around 225K gas mileage began to fall, didn't run smooth. Changed idle air control valve sensor and throttle body sensor (both less than $80) and got back its original mileage & performance. Had trans rebuilt @162K, changed radiator, water pump, some other minor I did myself. The inline 6 is a good buy. Friend has 96 with 483K still running & driving.

Favorite Features

Straight 6 is virtually bullet proof, delivers good HP, and easy to maintain. If/when repairs are needed costs less than most other vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

Sensors and interior can't hold up to what the engine can.

220,000 miles and still going !!!!!
By Shane

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I have had my jeep over 10 years no major problems...just minor things...very comfortable...I have 220,000 miles and still going...I want a newer one but I just want to see how long this one will last...highly recommend one...

Favorite Features

very dependable...very soft seats...body has held up very well...paint also..

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage not so good...headliner falls down...

Wife displeased
By RFBookman

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought new in 1996, was initially pleased. Had to have radio replaced under warranty but was fairly problem free until the rear end needed replacing. Mechanic said that gearing was misaligned from the factory and it was only a matter of time until it went out. Had other small intermittent problems. Then the computer unit went out. It took Jeep dealer about 3 months to find the problem. We would take it in and they would give it back saying they could not find any problem. It would have same problem and we would take it in only to start the cycle again. Wife who drives vehicle says we will never buy another Jeep. Plan on replacing it soon with import.

Favorite Features

Nice exterior looks. Good turning radius. Paint has held up well.

Nice 2 drive...
By bluepenguin

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I purchased this used vehicle just about a year ago ... (lol knock on wood) so far ZERO problems . The ONLY thing I can say negative about this SUV is gas usage, but that is an EXPECTED given with driving a large vehicle. Overall so far, I am very happy with this vehicle and would absolutely recommend it.

Favorite Features

The overall design, interior and exterior, very comfortable seating and "roomy".

Suggested Improvements

My only 'problem' is the rear window wiper ... tends to go too far down and needs adjustment . (Mechanic stated that he has seen that a lot on this style).