1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Great 1st car
By ro88i3 on 11/19/13 19:56 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

I saved up and bought this jeep with 168,000. It had a major transmission leak and oil leak but with some seals and elbow grease they were fixed. The heated seats and rear wiper are still not working. The sunroof doesnt work but the engine and 4wd system works amazing. I can go down muddy roads while sitting in the comfortable leather seats and listen to the radio. It had 3!!! blown speakers when i bought it. I love the jeep and ill keep it forever! The only thing that I dont like about it is the MPG 15 at best. WOW!

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee
By jobu2010 on 11/23/12 13:08 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

When running the Jeep is fun to drive, 1997 Cherokee gets horrible gas mileage, all fours running all-the-time stupid idea. Right now the Jeep does not run tranny sensors messed up. Look out Jeep is a money pit.

V8 Laredo 4x4
By ford_guy351 on 06/22/11 22:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This was the first car I had when I got my license and I bought it becouse it looked very good and I wanted the V8 power. Soon after I bought it though I relized that it was a typical Mopar useless and unreliable. I figured out that it leaked oil and it began to make a popping noise which was the drivers side C/V axle shaft boot had worn out and soon after the whole thing snapped and I had to replace it. But the engine itself has never had any major problems and currently it has 136k miles. The interior is nice but the stock speakers were blown when I got it and the passenger side heated seat refuses to work on high but the leather is very nice.

Impressed with the 4.0
By BBull on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Purchased used in 98 with 28K miles, still driving with 242K. Very impressed with the inline 6. Have replaced water pump, EX manifold, computer, etc. mostly myself for low cost. Trans rebuild at 152K. Recently changed idle air control valve and throttle body sensor; got back to average 19MPG in city & 23 MPG HWY. Solid engine, would recommend the inline 6 and would buy again but this one is till running literally like it was 12 years ago.

Can't expect much more
By Bull on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought in 98 to replace small pick-up, smart buy; still primary vehicle. Have 240K and it literally runs like it did, with little effort. Inline 6 is awesome engine. Around 225K gas mileage began to fall, didn't run smooth. Changed idle air control valve sensor and throttle body sensor (both less than $80) and got back its original mileage & performance. Had trans rebuilt @162K, changed radiator, water pump, some other minor I did myself. The inline 6 is a good buy. Friend has 96 with 483K still running & driving.

178,000 miles and adding more
By BYRKSTER on 07/10/10 21:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee! I found her next to a garage covered in green goo, from setting underneath some pine trees for -FOUR- years, asked the owner if they were interested in selling, they said yes. I paid $700.00, stuck in a new battery and she fired up and I took off down the road towards my garage. “Let the fun begin” Flushed all the systems, changed the exhaust, brakes, rotors, calipers, shocks, fluids, sparks plugs, wires, cap & rotor, all had rusted, but after four years setting she still ran great! Took more time cleaning the exterior then actual replacing parts, but she turned out great!

Going-Goning
By Charlie on 05/17/10 07:27 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned this since it was new. Has run well over the years. Now a second car for just running around town.Hope it last , but slowly problems. No A/C, many leaks , shocks on rear hatch gone, no 4 wheel drive. Paint has held up great.

Not What I Expected
By T Tyler on 01/26/10 18:28 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I got this 97" Jeep in 2006 with approx 60k on it... with in 6 months I had to have the Rear-End rebuilt... $1600 Water Pump replaced in 2009 for $450 Transmission Rebuilt 2010 for $1600 This Jeep has been leaking Oil from day 1 (Minor Dripping) The front end needs to be Rebuilt also.. but where I live there is no need for 4X4, so it will stay the way it is... I love the interior , look and overall ride.. Just too many issues with me even driving it rough. When I drive, I drive it with care.. Still it seems to not want to play fair and stay repair free... Why me... PS: The Infinity speakers seem to be blown... may be due to the age... oh well

Would NOT Consider any other SUV BUT....
By ALLRealtySolution on 12/21/09 06:48 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

If it is a reliable, safe SUV you are looking for, then Cherokee should be your choice. We have owned jeeps since 91 and have had on since. We have a 97 GCL and LOVE IT! The clock JUST turned over 100K... We figure it should last for OVER 300K! So we may have it until 2040 something. lol VERY RELIABLE... VERY SAFE... AND FUN TO 4X4!!

RELIABLE WORK HORSE
By jerrymax on 11/13/09 15:04 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this as a third vehicle. I also have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 1997 Nissan Maxima that I keep on Long Island. I bought the 1997 Grand Cherokee with 138,000 miles on the odometer to keep at my other residence in upstate New York. As with my 1996 model it has been a reliable work horse. My '97 has the SelecTrac system that allows you to shift between RWD and AWD. In AWD it handles upstate winter weather conditions beautifully. The inline-6 engine is noisy but tough as nails. Good as a second (or third) car and local daily driver. A bit bouncy on long trips. No problems to report in first 5000 miles of driving. I recommend using 89 octane fuel rather than regular.