Used 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Great 1st car
By ro88i3

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

I saved up and bought this jeep with 168,000. It had a major transmission leak and oil leak but with some seals and elbow grease they were fixed. The heated seats and rear wiper are still not working. The sunroof doesnt work but the engine and 4wd system works amazing. I can go down muddy roads while sitting in the comfortable leather seats and listen to the radio. It had 3!!! blown speakers when i bought it. I love the jeep and ill keep it forever! The only thing that I dont like about it is the MPG 15 at best. WOW!

Favorite Features

Leather seats POWER 4wd system Nice feel of the interior

Suggested Improvements

Make it more efficient get some better seals put the tire somewhere else better quality speakers redesign the heated seats and rear wiper

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee
By jobu2010

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

When running the Jeep is fun to drive, 1997 Cherokee gets horrible gas mileage, all fours running all-the-time stupid idea. Right now the Jeep does not run tranny sensors messed up. Look out Jeep is a money pit.

Suggested Improvements

poor gas mileage

V8 Laredo 4x4
By ford_guy351

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This was the first car I had when I got my license and I bought it becouse it looked very good and I wanted the V8 power. Soon after I bought it though I relized that it was a typical Mopar useless and unreliable. I figured out that it leaked oil and it began to make a popping noise which was the drivers side C/V axle shaft boot had worn out and soon after the whole thing snapped and I had to replace it. But the engine itself has never had any major problems and currently it has 136k miles. The interior is nice but the stock speakers were blown when I got it and the passenger side heated seat refuses to work on high but the leather is very nice.

Favorite Features

I am 17 so I like the power of the V8 and all the luxury options offered such as dual power heated seats, power everything else cassette/CD/AM/FM radio and all the space inside especially when you fold the back seats flat and the fact it tells you your average mpg. instant mpg, distance tell empty,compass and tempareture.

Suggested Improvements

I hate the horrible gas mileage 14 mpg!! It sucks when it costs $70-$80 to fill up the tank. Also the terrible build quality on the exterior the plastic horribe bumper covers which dont provide any protection at all. I backed into a tree not very fast I might add and now theres a big dent in the liftgate and i cant open it unless I reach into the inside and pull on something and the front bumper feels like its ready to fall off every time you touch it. It also doesnt have a 2WD option just 4 HI and 4 LO which is a big blow on the mpg. This also has a bad affect on the performence, it does have power but its horribly slow off the line once it gets up to 35 mph then it will accelerate faster

Impressed with the 4.0
By BBull

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Purchased used in 98 with 28K miles, still driving with 242K. Very impressed with the inline 6. Have replaced water pump, EX manifold, computer, etc. mostly myself for low cost. Trans rebuild at 152K. Recently changed idle air control valve and throttle body sensor; got back to average 19MPG in city & 23 MPG HWY. Solid engine, would recommend the inline 6 and would buy again but this one is till running literally like it was 12 years ago.

Favorite Features

Reliability/dependability of the 4.0 inline 6 cyl, easy low cost to maintain and repair

Suggested Improvements

AC has condensation drain problems. Slightly heavy, hard on tires.

Can't expect much more
By Bull

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought in 98 to replace small pick-up, smart buy; still primary vehicle. Have 240K and it literally runs like it did, with little effort. Inline 6 is awesome engine. Around 225K gas mileage began to fall, didn't run smooth. Changed idle air control valve sensor and throttle body sensor (both less than $80) and got back its original mileage & performance. Had trans rebuilt @162K, changed radiator, water pump, some other minor I did myself. The inline 6 is a good buy. Friend has 96 with 483K still running & driving.

Favorite Features

Straight 6 is virtually bullet proof, delivers good HP, and easy to maintain. If/when repairs are needed costs less than most other vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

Sensors and interior can't hold up to what the engine can.