1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Review: keep your money

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Review

keep your money
By kds2 on

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I saw this vehicle and it looked like a good car. Well, I could not have been more wrong. At 90k the transmission needed a full rebuild. At 95k the 4x4 went out along with the exhaust needing replaced. Keep in mind this Jeep never went off road. We only drove it when there was snow in the ground. Shortly thereafter both axles needed replacing. By this point we had had enough. We sold it for $4000 under valuation just to get rid of the thing. Buying that thing was the biggest mistake we have made to date. It just made me realize how much I missed my Nissan Pathfinder. If I were you I would pay a bit more for the Pathfinder ... I think you will be happier in the long run.

The tires are fairly inexpensive, and the tow hooks came in pretty handy (more so than I would like to admit). The a/c worked great. The on board compass was helpful at times. The premium stereo wasnít too shabby either. Sadly, the bad outweighs the good.

Make the Jeep reliable! The tranny is most questionable. Itís pretty squirrelly on the highway at high speed. The clear coat should last longer than 100k. The axles should last more than 95k miles! Overall itís just a bad choice.