Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

The original suv
By jerrymax

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo from my neighbor last December after thinking for a while that I needed an SUV. I've got no complaints. I frequently visit my daughter in upstate New York and traversing her 175 ft driveway with 9 inches of snow on it was a breeze in the Jeep. Cruises very smoothly at 60 mph but feels like it's being pushed too hard at 70. Made for traction, no speed. Jeep has unique qualities, like unibody construction and solid axles, not found in other SUVs. And its the original 4x4, the workhorse vehicle born out of necessity in World War II for the military, the grand-daddy of all SUVs. I'll always have a Jeep from now on, as well as a sedan for summer driving.

Distinctive styling...you know a Jeep when you see one. Great off-road vehicle, great in snow, handles any kind of weather conditions with ease. Nice high stance for great visibility. Lots of room inside. Inline-6 engine has adequate power, decent gas mileage.

None, in fact I like my 1996 model better than some of the new ones. Ride is kind of bumpy at times but that's to be expected in this kind of vehicle.

Still going
By Jwimm

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought this vehicle with about 35K miles on it. Up to about 120k now. Thing still going well. Problems to date: A/C leaks, on 3rd cat conv due to recalls, and just found out that exhaust manifold is cracked. Only regular maintenance beyond that. Like to get a new car but this thing just doesn't want to give up.

U-turns in tight spaces are no problem. Good torque. Very reliable.

Mileage could be better for a 6 cylinder. Ride is pretty stiff.

Great Jeep
By Happy Owner

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, this has been a great Jeep. The 4.0 is one of the best engines ever made, despite some ancilliary equipment that was poorly designed (water pump, exhaust manifold, crankshaft position sensor). I've got over 130K miles on it and it is still going strong. I am a fanatic about maintenance, and changing fluids before they are due, which is why all my cars are good for 300k miles.

A great vehicle for snow, and certainly looks better than the new ones.

Like many other reviewers, want better door trim, reliable heated seats, working radio.

By buy it!!!!!

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the best car i have ever had. The 4x4 works geart and you can't go wrong with the I6 its the best motor in the world! I have 109,000 miles on it and the only thing that goes out is the radiator and the power streeing. This Jeep looks great with a 4in lift and 31s and it goes any where at anytime through mud and snow it does it all. Gas miles will drop if you lift it. If I could do it all again I would just add tires and rims if you do that you'll be able to go most place a Landrover can with a lower price!

Lift kit, I6 motor, and 4x4!

Better radiator and power steering pump.

Great SUV
By Lilsurfingsteve

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I recieved my car for Christmas of 2004. Since then, it has been a great car. The guy before me was not the best to it. It has a few dents and dings but not too bad. All I've had to replace was the radiator. I'm definitely going to buy another Jeep Grand Cherokee after I give this one to my brother.

Excellent handling and comfort