1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Love My Jeep
By Love My Jeep on 05/30/05 18:19 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have 118+K miles on my Jeep and the only thing that has gone wrong is the water pump. During last year's snow storm in Kentucky, I pulled out two 18 wheelers and 23 other cars and trucks. It's like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going, and going. I'm debating whether to keep it for another three or four years or trade it in on a newer model.

'96 Limited 4WD V8 - 153,000 miles
By Trevor on 03/26/05 16:07 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought used in '97 with about 10,000 miles. 143,000 miles and many road trips later, I have had virtually no problems. Other than routine maintenance, I've only done the front CV boots and an A/C recharge. This is the best car I have ever owned and I would definitely buy another. My only complaints are the gas mileage (14-15 city, 18-20 hwy), heated seats quit working last year ($1,000 to repair...don't need 'em that bad!), and some of my buttons on the radio don't work unless you press them really hard. Overall very happy with my Jeep throughout the years.

Rock solid reliabilty
By JPM on 01/07/05 15:46 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had it for 5 years now and I'm up to 121K and it still runs great. Bought it with 48K on it. It has been extremely reliable. Replaced water pump at 100K and starter at 115K Put CV boots on @ 120K (BTW-that's pretty normal wear). Besides that, Only reg. maint. items required (brakes and oil). V8 has plenty of power; I get 15-16 back and forth to work and about 19 mpg on the highway. Not bad for a 4000lb SUV. It handles great for an SUV-much better than my friend's Explorer. Hope to get 200k out of it before I buy another.

96 Grand Cherokee Laredo
By J C Golden on 01/05/05 17:38 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Very good vehicle with the 5.2L engine and Quadra-Trac full-time 4WD. ABS worked well on snow and ice. One annoying problem with the auxilliary transmission oil cooler lines located near the front bumper--they leak and it's a $200 fix to repair them when they do.

Not sure what to think
By Terry on 12/26/04 15:41 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has been fun to drive but has had problems since day 1. Bought it at 55,000 miles, it had the 318 V-8 engine in it. Dealership could never fix engine "pinging." Rod bearings went, then entire engine had to be replaced at 101,000 miles. It was my wife's vehicle and she used it to commute back and forth a short distance to work. This vehicle has never been driven hard or abused. We also had trouble with the 4WD slipping out of 4WD low--wouldn't engage. The CD player quit working, radio shorts out. Sunroof leaks during big rainstorms. Vehicle has bled us dry for repair bills. Gets 15.6 mpg. Trannie seems to shift back and forth unnecessarily when going up hills.

'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
By Downwind II on 12/09/04 03:38 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought a used '96 JGC from a Tucson Chevy dealer in '99. 22000 miles. Fully optioned. Perfect except all inner door panels were warped from the heat. I had seen this problem on two other used GCs. Dealer replaced them and no recurrence of this problem. Bought warranty for $1500,used up the entire value on repairs, including the rebuilding of the rear diff and CV joints. Used primarily for long distance driving. Tow a 5300lb boat with equalizer hitch. Tows well, goes up hills slowly. Now has 105000 miles, never a breakdown. If not driven, battery drains down in 10 days, no obvious cause. Tows well behind my RV. 14-18 mpg. Tire takes up cargo space. It's comfortable and I like it.

Had Some Problems,But Still A Great SUV!
By Private on 12/04/04 14:36 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this one new in 1995 as a 1996 Model. I love this Jeep! But,I'm trading it in to my Selling Dealership Next Month. (January) 99,000 Miles

Maintain it
By Michelin Man on 11/16/04 19:59 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I love my Grand Cherokee! It is a very spacious and comfortable SUV. The Jeep is great off-road. Being a Jeep expert, make sure the Jeep has been maintained. Both the Inline-6 and V8 have seen 300k miles in many instances. The drivetrain and suspension are of less quality. The trannys are prone to break, some at 90k miles and others at 200k miles. Never get a tranny flush or a radiator flush! Both components will likely fail. The 1993=1998 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) is maintenence-intensive. Mine has 135k miles, has required a new steering box, starter, battery, steering stabilizer, many brake components, shocks, and various bushings in the front suspension. Great Vehicle for the expert.

Penny wise, pound foolish
By DoctorJ on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Bought this vehicle off lease with 28k miles. Needed a high-clearance vehicle for work as I occasionally have to drive on dirt/gravel roads. I really wanted a 4Runner, but thought I'd save $3,000 or so and "Buy American" - BIG mistake. Interior trim is peeling off of the doors and the seat fabric failed early. For some reason, I'm always banging my foot on the door lip getting in & out. Has that "tippy" feel on corners. Worst of all, I had to replace the transmission at 65k mi, spending the $3000 I "saved" on the purchase, but it still doesn't work that smoothly.

Good and Bad
By Charlie Brown on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

For the most part I love my jeep. However, I bought it with about 78,000 miles and got to about 100K before starting to have problem after problem. All my issues center around the serpentine belt...we've replace every motor or compressor attached to it as well as the tensioner arm (too many times to count). We've also had to replace the CV joints and boots on both sides. I think it's a bad design and that's why so many of us have had to replace items working off the serpentine belt. We get one thing fixed that's attached to the serpentine belt and then something else on the belt needs to be fixed...sigh...