Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Great SUV
By Ron

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1996 JGC new. I now have 215k miles and it still runs very well. I do regular maintenance; had to replace radiator twice. Still original motor and tran.

Favorite Features

4x4

Suggested Improvements

More space in rear.

So So
By Glenn Scott

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have always been a Toyota fan. I still am. This vehicle just didn't measure up. By the time I had 100K on it things were literally falling apart. The engine has been no problem to 150K. But the brakes are a Joke. They thump about 2K after having them done. I have had them done about 12 times. The tranny signed off at 105K and the ball joints and front end were all done at 115K. It did get a solid 20 MPG and the seats never wore or tore so I guess not all bad. My last 4 Runner got retired at 280K original tranny and ball joints. Oh yeah, I had the brakes done about 5 times and they never ever thumped!

Favorite Features

Outside Temp and navigation system. Nice.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes that work and components with higher quality. Make a rear hatch that doesn't rust as easily as this one. The plate cavity holds water and salt and rusts out the surrounding metal. I wouldn't buy another one any time soon.

It's a Jeep Thing!!
By Kineticv

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '96 GC Limited in 2000. It had 70,000 miles on it already but I needed a larger vehicle and didn't want to spend a fortune so I bought it. Best decision I ever made!!! I have had to make very few repairs and most of those have been normal wearing type. It now has 218,000 miles on it and I am just now thinking of trading it in for a new one. Not because it won't run anymore, but just because I figure it probably won't be worth anything for trade in if I wait any longer. I highly recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Can we get a Jeep with better gas mileage?

The original suv
By jerrymax

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo from my neighbor last December after thinking for a while that I needed an SUV. I've got no complaints. I frequently visit my daughter in upstate New York and traversing her 175 ft driveway with 9 inches of snow on it was a breeze in the Jeep. Cruises very smoothly at 60 mph but feels like it's being pushed too hard at 70. Made for traction, no speed. Jeep has unique qualities, like unibody construction and solid axles, not found in other SUVs. And its the original 4x4, the workhorse vehicle born out of necessity in World War II for the military, the grand-daddy of all SUVs. I'll always have a Jeep from now on, as well as a sedan for summer driving.

Favorite Features

Distinctive styling...you know a Jeep when you see one. Great off-road vehicle, great in snow, handles any kind of weather conditions with ease. Nice high stance for great visibility. Lots of room inside. Inline-6 engine has adequate power, decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

None, in fact I like my 1996 model better than some of the new ones. Ride is kind of bumpy at times but that's to be expected in this kind of vehicle.

Still going
By Jwimm

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought this vehicle with about 35K miles on it. Up to about 120k now. Thing still going well. Problems to date: A/C leaks, on 3rd cat conv due to recalls, and just found out that exhaust manifold is cracked. Only regular maintenance beyond that. Like to get a new car but this thing just doesn't want to give up.

Favorite Features

U-turns in tight spaces are no problem. Good torque. Very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage could be better for a 6 cylinder. Ride is pretty stiff.