Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Still Run'n
By JS

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

After 136k miles our Jeep ZJ is still running great. The raves about the I-6 are true. No oil burning to speak of. It's basically a tractor engine-very simple-nothing fancy but very reliable. More reliable than the v-8 counterpart and easy to work on for the shade tree mechanic. Output on par with many other manufacturers V-8s of similar years. Selec-trac is very competent. Nice to have just 2x4 when you want it. The NP242 transfer case is one of the best Jeep has. Ours get's only the good stuff (Mobile 1, Royal Purple, et. so take good care and it will treat you right.

I-6, Selec-trac,solid front axle. Has strong suspension without the truck feel Nice cargo capacity (hauled 800 lbs of marble tile in one trip). Try that in your mini van.

MPG not bad but could be better with minimal engineering effort (better intake/exhaust manifold). Road noise unless you undercoat it.

Indestructable
By Jeepenthusiast

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

While the 4.0 l i6 is not the most powerful or fuel efficient engine it is truly bullet proof. I bought my grand Cherokee in 1998 and it had 60,000 mi on it. It now has 262,000 mi on it and the engine still runs strong. I beat the crap out of this car taking it off road. I sank it in a swamp, blew the shocks rock crawling, and various other adventures. The engine hung in there. The exhaust rusted because of the swamping and needed to be replaced and the transmission was replaced when I sank it in the swamp. But the only parts I ever replaced were ones that werew broken from my harsh useage.

Reliability... this vehicle never left me stranded.

drain plugs. when the interior gets swamped it takes hours to get the water out with a shop vac because there are no drain plugs.

Great SUV
By Ron

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1996 JGC new. I now have 215k miles and it still runs very well. I do regular maintenance; had to replace radiator twice. Still original motor and tran.

4x4

More space in rear.

So So
By Glenn Scott

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have always been a Toyota fan. I still am. This vehicle just didn't measure up. By the time I had 100K on it things were literally falling apart. The engine has been no problem to 150K. But the brakes are a Joke. They thump about 2K after having them done. I have had them done about 12 times. The tranny signed off at 105K and the ball joints and front end were all done at 115K. It did get a solid 20 MPG and the seats never wore or tore so I guess not all bad. My last 4 Runner got retired at 280K original tranny and ball joints. Oh yeah, I had the brakes done about 5 times and they never ever thumped!

Outside Temp and navigation system. Nice.

Brakes that work and components with higher quality. Make a rear hatch that doesn't rust as easily as this one. The plate cavity holds water and salt and rusts out the surrounding metal. I wouldn't buy another one any time soon.

It's a Jeep Thing!!
By Kineticv

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '96 GC Limited in 2000. It had 70,000 miles on it already but I needed a larger vehicle and didn't want to spend a fortune so I bought it. Best decision I ever made!!! I have had to make very few repairs and most of those have been normal wearing type. It now has 218,000 miles on it and I am just now thinking of trading it in for a new one. Not because it won't run anymore, but just because I figure it probably won't be worth anything for trade in if I wait any longer. I highly recommend this vehicle.

Can we get a Jeep with better gas mileage?