Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Luv my Cherokee
By JamesD

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the rig in 2000 with 35K miles, now have 159K and no real problems. Had to replace the brakes, fuel pump @ about 125K and recently the water pump. The rig runs like a charm, my only complaint is the suspension is a tad too loose, otherwise been a great vehicle and plan on keeping it a few more years

Favorite Features

Just a all around good rig, it began as my wife's car and she loved it. I have been driving it for about 3 years and been a pleasure to drive.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more knee more in the back seats would have been nice.

awesome.
By dangerxx

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My Grand Cherokee has about 170,000 miles on it now and it's still going strong. If you're looking for a vehicle and you're afraid about high mileage, do not dismiss the '96 Grand Cherokee. It's powerful, it's comfortable, and it rides well for an SUV. Gas mileage is not great though. We've only had a few problems with it- anti freeze leak, bearings wearing out in rear. Other than that, its a good, solid, reliable vehicle that you can take literally ANYWHERE. Thumbs up

Favorite Features

Leather, 4WD

Suggested Improvements

Put the spare tire somewhere else. It makes it awkward to fit things in the back with the tire in the way. Do a better job on the headliner as well- it comes loose around the edges and we keep fixing it but it won't hold. That's all, though.

1996 jeep
By T-daddy

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

My 1996 jeep has been great overall. I have had to replace the water pump, the oil pump, the alternator, the radiator, and the brakes/tires/shocks. In addition, I had to replace the catalytic converter. Otherwise the jeep is rock solid other than minor issues. It is great in the rain and snow.

Favorite Features

Stable in the rain and snow.

Suggested Improvements

I would rec a 1996 jeep to anyone who wants cheap reliable transport. Parts are cheap and available. The only drawback is the MPG. 15 city.20 hwy

Still Run'n
By JS

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

After 136k miles our Jeep ZJ is still running great. The raves about the I-6 are true. No oil burning to speak of. It's basically a tractor engine-very simple-nothing fancy but very reliable. More reliable than the v-8 counterpart and easy to work on for the shade tree mechanic. Output on par with many other manufacturers V-8s of similar years. Selec-trac is very competent. Nice to have just 2x4 when you want it. The NP242 transfer case is one of the best Jeep has. Ours get's only the good stuff (Mobile 1, Royal Purple, et. so take good care and it will treat you right.

Favorite Features

I-6, Selec-trac,solid front axle. Has strong suspension without the truck feel Nice cargo capacity (hauled 800 lbs of marble tile in one trip). Try that in your mini van.

Suggested Improvements

MPG not bad but could be better with minimal engineering effort (better intake/exhaust manifold). Road noise unless you undercoat it.

Indestructable
By Jeepenthusiast

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

While the 4.0 l i6 is not the most powerful or fuel efficient engine it is truly bullet proof. I bought my grand Cherokee in 1998 and it had 60,000 mi on it. It now has 262,000 mi on it and the engine still runs strong. I beat the crap out of this car taking it off road. I sank it in a swamp, blew the shocks rock crawling, and various other adventures. The engine hung in there. The exhaust rusted because of the swamping and needed to be replaced and the transmission was replaced when I sank it in the swamp. But the only parts I ever replaced were ones that werew broken from my harsh useage.

Favorite Features

Reliability... this vehicle never left me stranded.

Suggested Improvements

drain plugs. when the interior gets swamped it takes hours to get the water out with a shop vac because there are no drain plugs.