1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
My trusted Jeep
By Will on 01/01/06 11:30 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I love my Jeep. Yeah I've had some normal problems with a car that now has 155,000 miles on it like replace radiator, starter, window motor, and a couple of other things, but that's normal. Parts are really cheap for it and the car is easy to work on. The inline 6 cylinder is virtually bullet proof.

BUY ONE!
By jeepster on 12/07/05 22:34 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle September of 1995, and since then it has been a pleasure to drive. It has great handling, and NO blind spots! It also is extremely powerful with the V8 engine. The heated seats are great with my back, and the sunroof is just a pleasure. The trip computer is very informative, and has kept my Jeep moving. After 11 years of ownership, I have put 111,000 miles on this Jeep, and haven't had a single problem; it has not seen the inside of the Jeep dealership since the day i bought it (other than routine maintenance). I bought a Mercedes ML 2 years ago, but kept the Jeep, I ended up trading the ML back because it was no comparison, and now I drive the Jeep! Amazing vehicle!

Jeep's best engine EVER
By Jan on 11/12/05 02:40 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The inline V6 is the best engine Jeep's ever made, this is fact. Might run 250k ... but, in last month alone, I had to replace battery, starter, alternator, and finally got around to getting estimates on $1,200 air conditioner replacement (leaking), new exhaust, and total electrical system overhaul. My stereo was stolen, and now the windows and locks work only intermittently, and the check engine light has been on for 2 1/2 months, EVEN WHEN THE CAR'S OFF. No diagnostic tests have solved puzzle. It was fabulous until it went bad, and it went bad FAST.

The 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
By Mike on 11/08/05 23:44 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a great vehicle. As long as you take care of the basic maintenance it will run forever. The offroad performance is also very good. Highway is comfortable. I have the I6 4.0 engine. Power sunroof and leather seats. Black inside and out. The only thing that is a knock on the vehicle is the highway. There is some hesitation when going from overdrive to one of the lower gears. That is to be expected with the I6. But overall it isn't a big deal because if you lower the throttle even more the it can really move. The gas mileage is as follows. 60-67 23-24 mpg. 67-74 21-18 mpg. City speeds it is about 15-16 mpg. Great vehicle for Michigan, not to mention it was and still is made in Detroit.

Jeep Grand Cherokee with no complaints
By Weez on 09/16/05 13:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

One of the better vehicles I have ever owned. It reminds me of my '72 Nova but without all the problems, and I never had to keep tools onboard. Nice firm ride on the road and great off road ride. Handles all the bumps and ditches with ease. The only complaint I have is the location of the overdrive cutoff switch. It was hard to see. I like this Grand Cherokee so much that I bought another in 2004.

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
By Cristen on 08/04/05 04:19 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my Jeep this year, of course used. It is a great vehicle. I have had no problems with it at all, it runs very well and I love the power with the v-8. I was very surprised about how well it turns in tight spots. It maneuvers like a car. The interior is very comfortable, and it has power everything. I like that the seats move up and down, because i am only 4 foot 11 inches tall. And it is no problem to drive. It has plenty of space to haul just about anything, and the back seats fold down. I like the navigational system. All in all it is a great vehicle, the only bad thing I can say is it gets 15 mpg in town and 18 on 4-lane, and I was used to a Geo Tracker that got 35 mpg.

Excellent Vehicle
By Lynn on 06/29/05 15:53 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I've had my Jeep for over two years now and have had no problems. I'm so impressed with Jeep. Reliability is a must for me and this has been an excellent vehicle for this military single parent. I'm a Jeeper for life!

Leaky Jeep!
By P V C on 06/17/05 14:42 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Lived in Japan for a while; bought and shipped a Jeep (with 56,000 miles) when I returned to US. After over a year of ownership and 5,000 miles of driving, I have taken it to a 5-star Chrysler dealer for numerous reasons: busted CV boots, leaking transmission lines, leaking valve cover... what's next? Is it the vehicle that's unreliable, or is it the mechanics that work on it? Just waiting for the right time to take it for trade in.

If You Can Afford to Run It
By antbloom on 06/13/05 08:34 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

In Australia the Jeep Grand Cherokee is sold as a premium vehicle with a price to match. Even 1996 models sell at dealers for over $18,000. My experience has not been a happy one; luckily the dealer gave me a 3 year unlimited warranty. All sorts of rattles, whines and leaks plague this car which the dealer seems unable to fix. My advice is admire someone else's Jeep and buy a Toyota.

keep your money
By kds2 on 06/02/05 16:36 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I saw this vehicle and it looked like a good car. Well, I could not have been more wrong. At 90k the transmission needed a full rebuild. At 95k the 4x4 went out along with the exhaust needing replaced. Keep in mind this Jeep never went off road. We only drove it when there was snow in the ground. Shortly thereafter both axles needed replacing. By this point we had had enough. We sold it for $4000 under valuation just to get rid of the thing. Buying that thing was the biggest mistake we have made to date. It just made me realize how much I missed my Nissan Pathfinder. If I were you I would pay a bit more for the Pathfinder ... I think you will be happier in the long run.