Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

fix the air again and again
By Dave

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Had to repair the air the first year I had it and the 2nd year and the third and 4th year. Warranty ended and I gave up on being cool because repairs only lasted one year. Had to replace water pump, radiater, cat converter and radio around 100,000. But she still looks good.

classic body style

Air cond that works

A sad farewell
By Pat

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm writing as I'm about to take up the Cash for Clunkers option on a new Jeep. I believe that the 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited must have been the miraculous model where Jeep did everything right for about an hour, and out came my wonderful old car. I've got 152K on a 12 year old model. Not a speck of rust. Original engine. Everything works (with, of course, some replacement expenses over the years) except the passenger side seat heater gave up the ghost 5 years ago. I've got the straight six, not the V8. It needed a little more room in the back, but I almost can't bear to part with it. They're just giving away too much money right now to say "no". Adios with a tear.

The leather seats are the most comfortable I've ever been in, in any car, SUV or truck

Get the spare out of the interior in the back section.

Luv my Cherokee
By JamesD

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the rig in 2000 with 35K miles, now have 159K and no real problems. Had to replace the brakes, fuel pump @ about 125K and recently the water pump. The rig runs like a charm, my only complaint is the suspension is a tad too loose, otherwise been a great vehicle and plan on keeping it a few more years

Just a all around good rig, it began as my wife's car and she loved it. I have been driving it for about 3 years and been a pleasure to drive.

A bit more knee more in the back seats would have been nice.

awesome.
By dangerxx

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My Grand Cherokee has about 170,000 miles on it now and it's still going strong. If you're looking for a vehicle and you're afraid about high mileage, do not dismiss the '96 Grand Cherokee. It's powerful, it's comfortable, and it rides well for an SUV. Gas mileage is not great though. We've only had a few problems with it- anti freeze leak, bearings wearing out in rear. Other than that, its a good, solid, reliable vehicle that you can take literally ANYWHERE. Thumbs up

Leather, 4WD

Put the spare tire somewhere else. It makes it awkward to fit things in the back with the tire in the way. Do a better job on the headliner as well- it comes loose around the edges and we keep fixing it but it won't hold. That's all, though.

1996 jeep
By T-daddy

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

My 1996 jeep has been great overall. I have had to replace the water pump, the oil pump, the alternator, the radiator, and the brakes/tires/shocks. In addition, I had to replace the catalytic converter. Otherwise the jeep is rock solid other than minor issues. It is great in the rain and snow.

Stable in the rain and snow.

I would rec a 1996 jeep to anyone who wants cheap reliable transport. Parts are cheap and available. The only drawback is the MPG. 15 city.20 hwy