1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
It's a Jeep Thing!
By Burkey on 02/13/07 12:13 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep off a lease with 39k back in 99 for $17,000 and its been an awesome vehicle. I do a lot of bowhunting and take it off road and have never once had a problem getting stuck...it'll go through quicksand! It has been a very reliable vehicle and have never had a major problem with it. At around 90k the electrical system starting getting funky...the radio took a lot of button pushing to get it from FM to AM and now the headlights mysteriously blink on and off sometimes in AUTO mode. Probably a short. I do love this vehicle. It has 103K now and I'm buying another one for the wife. Very safe for the family and the dog can go in the back too. Jeeps are where it's at!

Known it since day one!
By Brad Pollard on 02/10/07 04:52 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought my 96 JGC Laredo from a friend who was the original owner. The mileage is still real low at under 45k. From what I know to be factual, the ONLY things that the previous owner had to buy/replace were a new battery at about 35k, and new tires at about 30k. EVERYTHING else has & continues to function properly. The oil on the 4.0 litre 6 cylinder has been changed every 3- 4000 miles, & car has been washed & waxed (black in/out) frequently. My personal experience & observations after only putting about 1500 miles on it are all positive. I find the vehicle highly optioned, quite comfortable, & predictably reliable.Of course I will know more in years to come, but so far I LIKE IT!

fun offroad and on road
By zjeep on 01/15/07 11:37 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

No major hitches, with little mods It did Moab wonderfully. On road quiet and roomy. Best front seats of anything I have sat in. Modest 6 banger performance is sufficient. Plan on keeping it till I cant find parts.

I would buy another one
By trouble on 10/13/06 19:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This Jeep has very high miles, regular up keep no major problems, only ball joints at 175,000 miles, very comfortable ride, and everything still works. Always drove a Chevy, but thought I would try something else, glad I did, it has a v-8 and I get 24 average miles to the gallon according to the tripometer. The paint looks great everything is original except for the custom stereo.

10 years trouble free
By mm on 08/07/06 22:30 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in '96, now with 110K. Runs great, always starts. Have always done routine maintenance and that has paid off. Lately though I am putting more money into it each year. Recent radiator, AC leaks, 1st muffler/exhaust replacement last year. Good brakes, strong engine. Take care of it and it will do likewise.

Great SUV
By Jd on 07/25/06 17:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle in 2004 at 190,000 miles and its still running good. I'm at 196.6 now. I bought it because i was really impressed with the interior. It was in excellent condition. 4wd still works very well. The previous owner did a lot of routine mainteance on it which is why it still runs well. I paid $4000 for it. Overall, I'm very satisfied with. I just wish the gas mileage a bit better. The paint still looks as it was new.

Forever Reliable Plus Comfort
By Frank Badolato on 06/29/06 09:55 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep has taken me through college and now with 4 children. I don't doubt that if I keep up with regular maintenance that it will easily last another 150000 miles. It is the only one of our cars we trust in all forms of weather.

Love it!
By Stacy on 06/14/06 12:05 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We've had our Jeep for about 4 years. It has over 230,000 miles and we've only had to replace the transmission and water pump. It is safe in the Wisconsin winters with our child, or pulling our two horse trailer anytime.

It's A Jeep!
By drive it on 01/29/06 03:21 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

If you know Jeeps, there's not much to explain. The car comes super loaded, more so than most new cars now. With the V8, gas mileage isn't too great, about 16 mpg, but what do you expect. The only problem I've ever had on mine (now at 98,000 miles) is the heated seats which seem to have a tenancy to go out every couple years even if you keep getting them fixed. But most cars don't even have them in the first place so it's not a big deal to just not have them. To me, it's one of the best looking SUV's ever made with comfort to match. Even at 10 years old, it's everything you need in an SUV. Recommended to anyone not worried about gas mileage.

solid 4x4
By hunter on 01/26/06 01:41 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The gas mileage and reliability were not what I had hoped for but it has performed the towing and off road job very well. It is comfortable on highway and the V8 has plenty of power. It now has 120,000 miles and has required no internal engine work. I have an "up country" suspension and limited slip rear end which makes it a good hunting vehicle.