Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Reliability to the extreme
By crhern

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I inherited my Jeep as a gift, it had 210,000 miles on it and everything was still original. Its an inline 6 limited now it has 240,000 miles on it and only the fuel pump and the radiator have been replaced everything else is still good. As many people say move the spare tire! Its annoying I've seen a few grand Cherokees where the spare is mounted on the liftgate like any other SUV and the rear window doesn't open other than those two things its awesome good power and ride, comfortable I'm definitely getting another Jeep in the future so is the girlfriend

Favorite Features

easy to maintain, seats, compass thing, my sound system i've put in is amazing

Suggested Improvements

ac overhead panel (shakes when music is loud) spare tire, I personally wouldn't have put in fake wood trim changing soon

Best of the beasts
By Squash

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I liked the 1996 so much that I now keep it in the garage as my reliable spare. It is great on and off road. For the do it DIY guy, this is the perfect vehicle. The downfalls of the vehicle are the transmission, the air conditioning, and the rear wiper. The remainder of the vehicle is superb.

Favorite Features

Off road capability, exterior, interior, fun and comfortable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission was horrible, replaced at 100K and 200K. I expect to replace it at 300K. I removed the air conditioning.

Thank God it was a Jeep!
By Sam

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Best truck EVER! Bought as a traded in lease with 40K miles on her and very few problems. Crossed the country towing a trailer, trucked across the outback of New Mexico no problems. This Jeep did it all with ease. handed her down to my son who beat the crap out of it and still ran great with over 225K miles on her she saved my son's life when a wrong way driver hit him in a 160 mph head on collision.The Jeep stood up to the test and not even the windshield broke, my son walked away with one broken arm. I'm sorry to say the other driver was not so lucky, may he rest in peace. I bet his family wished they gave their son a jeep. I'm looking for my next one now.

Favorite Features

select trac tranny saves on gas, very reliable engine, mine was a straight 6 4wd

Jeep - never again
By 1996 Jeep Grand Cher

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I have the 4.0 liter, 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Had 65,000 K when I bought it. Worst car I have ever owned. I am shopping for a replacement now. I have replaced catalytic convertor twice, out again. Cracked exhaust manifold, hoses, radiator,crank shaft sensor (going out again I believe), idle motor also. Have to hit starter 6 to 8 times to connect. I am 64 years old and put 5,000 miles on it a year..so rough treatment is not the excuse.

great ride
By dave67@pennswoods.ne

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Owned my Jeep for more than ten years towed 23 ft fishing boat for 8 of them this Jeep is amazing I have over three hundred and thirty thousand and have done very little I replaced tranns at three hundred thou along with one front axel one rear originally water fuel and power steering pumps I have used Lucas products and I highly recommend a buying a Jeep busing Lucas oil products I cant tell you enough great things about this Jeep put a set of bf all terrains she handles like no other ac always cold even with as many miles as I have on it

Favorite Features

v8 power comfortably the way it handles towing is great

Suggested Improvements

don't really have any thing to complain about