1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
So So
By Glenn Scott on 08/04/08 13:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have always been a Toyota fan. I still am. This vehicle just didn't measure up. By the time I had 100K on it things were literally falling apart. The engine has been no problem to 150K. But the brakes are a Joke. They thump about 2K after having them done. I have had them done about 12 times. The tranny signed off at 105K and the ball joints and front end were all done at 115K. It did get a solid 20 MPG and the seats never wore or tore so I guess not all bad. My last 4 Runner got retired at 280K original tranny and ball joints. Oh yeah, I had the brakes done about 5 times and they never ever thumped!

It's a Jeep Thing!!
By Kineticv on 04/10/08 05:49 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '96 GC Limited in 2000. It had 70,000 miles on it already but I needed a larger vehicle and didn't want to spend a fortune so I bought it. Best decision I ever made!!! I have had to make very few repairs and most of those have been normal wearing type. It now has 218,000 miles on it and I am just now thinking of trading it in for a new one. Not because it won't run anymore, but just because I figure it probably won't be worth anything for trade in if I wait any longer. I highly recommend this vehicle.

The original suv
By jerrymax on 03/22/08 21:23 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo from my neighbor last December after thinking for a while that I needed an SUV. I've got no complaints. I frequently visit my daughter in upstate New York and traversing her 175 ft driveway with 9 inches of snow on it was a breeze in the Jeep. Cruises very smoothly at 60 mph but feels like it's being pushed too hard at 70. Made for traction, no speed. Jeep has unique qualities, like unibody construction and solid axles, not found in other SUVs. And its the original 4x4, the workhorse vehicle born out of necessity in World War II for the military, the grand-daddy of all SUVs. I'll always have a Jeep from now on, as well as a sedan for summer driving.

Still going
By Jwimm on 02/01/08 15:42 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought this vehicle with about 35K miles on it. Up to about 120k now. Thing still going well. Problems to date: A/C leaks, on 3rd cat conv due to recalls, and just found out that exhaust manifold is cracked. Only regular maintenance beyond that. Like to get a new car but this thing just doesn't want to give up.

Great Jeep
By Happy Owner on 11/23/07 14:51 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, this has been a great Jeep. The 4.0 is one of the best engines ever made, despite some ancilliary equipment that was poorly designed (water pump, exhaust manifold, crankshaft position sensor). I've got over 130K miles on it and it is still going strong. I am a fanatic about maintenance, and changing fluids before they are due, which is why all my cars are good for 300k miles.

By buy it!!!!! on 11/08/07 19:45 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the best car i have ever had. The 4x4 works geart and you can't go wrong with the I6 its the best motor in the world! I have 109,000 miles on it and the only thing that goes out is the radiator and the power streeing. This Jeep looks great with a 4in lift and 31s and it goes any where at anytime through mud and snow it does it all. Gas miles will drop if you lift it. If I could do it all again I would just add tires and rims if you do that you'll be able to go most place a Landrover can with a lower price!

Great SUV
By Lilsurfingsteve on 05/25/07 09:34 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I recieved my car for Christmas of 2004. Since then, it has been a great car. The guy before me was not the best to it. It has a few dents and dings but not too bad. All I've had to replace was the radiator. I'm definitely going to buy another Jeep Grand Cherokee after I give this one to my brother.

Reliable SUV
By tortislc on 04/28/07 16:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle with 140,000 miles and it runs really good! I had a couple of sensors go out, but the dealer replaced them. Other than that, it is awesome! It got me around in the Blizzard of '06 in Colorado! Excellent sound system, love the leather, just looks like new! I will buy another Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited when the time comes and give this one to my son!

Work Horse
By HighMiles on 03/08/07 10:50 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the beast with 79k miles and now has 215k. Maintained every 3-4k and only major issues were front steering knuckles, sway bar links and most recently the exhaust manifold. 4.0L 6 cylinder engine is a workhorse.

Family Member
By Rod on 02/21/07 10:34 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought as new and have 120K with nothing other than normal maintenance items and has been driven off-road. Original engine and tranny, still easily passes CA smog gets 25 mpg hwy and 16 city. Change oil every 3k - 4K miles. Paint in great condition but rear liftgate shocks are wearing out. No other complaints.