Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Attach Stuck vehicles here!
By Chewy12

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1996 jeep grand cherokee it is a 5.2l beast that puts trucks to shame. Goes any where anytime and always kills the competition. I have over 216k miles on her but all she needed so far is a water pump and some some new axle bearings. transfer case was never shifted into low until i got her at 200k miles some lil old lady had never taken her to play around in the dirt. transfer case is an achilles heel but works great if you take care of it. Tows great, sounds like a beast, does better of road than tradition cjs and tjs im always pulling those out of mud. Some beefy tires and a cold air intake give it some traction and better power and fuel economy.Who needs roads when you have a jeep

5.2l engine, off road capability, towing, comfort, style , reliability, likes to play in the dirt with the best of them.

Transfer case, catalytic converter,

Unleash the beast
By i love my jeep

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jeep and would trade it for the world. I've never had a problem and would recommend to anyone. The inline 6 is great. Gas mileage is great for an SUV. I get about 26-28 hwy and 16-19 city. I put on over 5000 miles in the last 3 months and still no problem. I added some new features such as wider rims and cold air intake and its the hottest thing on the streets. Reliable, strong, efficient. Keep it up Jeep

inline 6, classic look, comfortable interior

wider rims adds for ever more stability, cold air intake because you really feel the power at 4000 rpm

200,000
By foster6245

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

We haven't had any problems with this jeep until now at 200,000 miles, it left me stranded by the road the other day. Completely shut off and we had to tow it to the dealership where they replaced the computer and some other things and cost around 1,000. Needless to say the jeep is at the end of it's life span. The exterior paint is worn away, the head liner is completely falling down, looking for another vehicle. Found out there has been multiple issues with the catalytic converter, etc.

very comfortable ride

Tired of this jeep
By 1996 Jeep Grand Cher

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this jeep but I am tired of having one thing after another go wrong. I've had the transmission rebuilt, the motor in the rear door replaced, the rear window on the drivers side can't be rolled down because it doesn't like to go back up. I've got an oil leak and am constantly putting oil into it. The AC leaks and has been recharged twice since I've owned it. I recently had the fuel pump and distributor cap replaced along with the drive shaft. And it's going back to the shop tomorrow to figure out what the loud "click click click" noise is that causes lots of staring, possibly the CV joint, who knows how much it'll cost this time. I think it's time for a trade in.

I love driving it, I just wish it wasn't so needy.

194,000 and still running
By Mouseman

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 182,000 on it for $1250.00. Had to rebuild the transmission in April of 2010, but since then it has been running great.

Comfortable seats, nice stereo, and a great engine. Haven't had to touch the engine since I bought it.

None