1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
MY WORKHORSE
By jerrymax on 10/03/09 11:01 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo from my neighbor in Dec. 2007 and have put 21,000 miles on it. I've taken it to upstate NY 21 times, a 600 mile round trip. Only got stranded once when the water pump seized up on a trip to Pennsylvania. Snapped the serpentine belt. Had to replace H2O pump, belt, tensioner and radiator. Car severely overheated but it did not damage the cast iron engine, an indestructible workhorse of a motor. No other problems. With 158,500 miles it still runs like a freight train. Always starts. I have the Quadra-Trac system, full-time AWD. On a recent road trip at 65 mph without the AC running I averaged 20.3 mpg. I use 89 octane so it runs cleaner. Great old car.

Ya man it's a jeep
By Cale Unruh on 09/02/09 00:10 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a very good vehicle. It has lots of power, great for offroading,and it's good for the highway. The person before me didn't take very good care of it but I have put some money into it and now it runs great. I had to replace the transmission, the water pump, and the alignment was a little screwy when I bought. I'm very glad I bought it over a truck I was looking at. I recommend this vehicle to anyone who doesn't care about gas mileage. I get about 16 mpg.

fix the air again and again
By Dave on 07/30/09 16:17 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Had to repair the air the first year I had it and the 2nd year and the third and 4th year. Warranty ended and I gave up on being cool because repairs only lasted one year. Had to replace water pump, radiater, cat converter and radio around 100,000. But she still looks good.

A sad farewell
By Pat on 07/27/09 09:32 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm writing as I'm about to take up the Cash for Clunkers option on a new Jeep. I believe that the 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited must have been the miraculous model where Jeep did everything right for about an hour, and out came my wonderful old car. I've got 152K on a 12 year old model. Not a speck of rust. Original engine. Everything works (with, of course, some replacement expenses over the years) except the passenger side seat heater gave up the ghost 5 years ago. I've got the straight six, not the V8. It needed a little more room in the back, but I almost can't bear to part with it. They're just giving away too much money right now to say "no". Adios with a tear.

Luv my Cherokee
By JamesD on 04/09/09 11:54 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the rig in 2000 with 35K miles, now have 159K and no real problems. Had to replace the brakes, fuel pump @ about 125K and recently the water pump. The rig runs like a charm, my only complaint is the suspension is a tad too loose, otherwise been a great vehicle and plan on keeping it a few more years

awesome.
By dangerxx on 03/20/09 06:39 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My Grand Cherokee has about 170,000 miles on it now and it's still going strong. If you're looking for a vehicle and you're afraid about high mileage, do not dismiss the '96 Grand Cherokee. It's powerful, it's comfortable, and it rides well for an SUV. Gas mileage is not great though. We've only had a few problems with it- anti freeze leak, bearings wearing out in rear. Other than that, its a good, solid, reliable vehicle that you can take literally ANYWHERE. Thumbs up

1996 jeep
By T-daddy on 02/28/09 12:01 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

My 1996 jeep has been great overall. I have had to replace the water pump, the oil pump, the alternator, the radiator, and the brakes/tires/shocks. In addition, I had to replace the catalytic converter. Otherwise the jeep is rock solid other than minor issues. It is great in the rain and snow.

Still Run'n
By JS on 12/07/08 21:58 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

After 136k miles our Jeep ZJ is still running great. The raves about the I-6 are true. No oil burning to speak of. It's basically a tractor engine-very simple-nothing fancy but very reliable. More reliable than the v-8 counterpart and easy to work on for the shade tree mechanic. Output on par with many other manufacturers V-8s of similar years. Selec-trac is very competent. Nice to have just 2x4 when you want it. The NP242 transfer case is one of the best Jeep has. Ours get's only the good stuff (Mobile 1, Royal Purple, et. so take good care and it will treat you right.

Indestructable
By Jeepenthusiast on 12/04/08 08:09 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

While the 4.0 l i6 is not the most powerful or fuel efficient engine it is truly bullet proof. I bought my grand Cherokee in 1998 and it had 60,000 mi on it. It now has 262,000 mi on it and the engine still runs strong. I beat the crap out of this car taking it off road. I sank it in a swamp, blew the shocks rock crawling, and various other adventures. The engine hung in there. The exhaust rusted because of the swamping and needed to be replaced and the transmission was replaced when I sank it in the swamp. But the only parts I ever replaced were ones that werew broken from my harsh useage.

Great SUV
By Ron on 10/08/08 10:25 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1996 JGC new. I now have 215k miles and it still runs very well. I do regular maintenance; had to replace radiator twice. Still original motor and tran.