Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Leaky Jeep!
By P V C

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Lived in Japan for a while; bought and shipped a Jeep (with 56,000 miles) when I returned to US. After over a year of ownership and 5,000 miles of driving, I have taken it to a 5-star Chrysler dealer for numerous reasons: busted CV boots, leaking transmission lines, leaking valve cover... what's next? Is it the vehicle that's unreliable, or is it the mechanics that work on it? Just waiting for the right time to take it for trade in.

Excellent sound system! I like the leather interior and automatic features.

Chrysler needs to improve the quality of their Jeep components. Make more reliable Jeeps, or hire more reliable mechanics at the dealerships.

If You Can Afford to Run It
By antbloom

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

In Australia the Jeep Grand Cherokee is sold as a premium vehicle with a price to match. Even 1996 models sell at dealers for over $18,000. My experience has not been a happy one; luckily the dealer gave me a 3 year unlimited warranty. All sorts of rattles, whines and leaks plague this car which the dealer seems unable to fix. My advice is admire someone else's Jeep and buy a Toyota.

Style, power, features.

Dealer education.

keep your money
By kds2

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I saw this vehicle and it looked like a good car. Well, I could not have been more wrong. At 90k the transmission needed a full rebuild. At 95k the 4x4 went out along with the exhaust needing replaced. Keep in mind this Jeep never went off road. We only drove it when there was snow in the ground. Shortly thereafter both axles needed replacing. By this point we had had enough. We sold it for $4000 under valuation just to get rid of the thing. Buying that thing was the biggest mistake we have made to date. It just made me realize how much I missed my Nissan Pathfinder. If I were you I would pay a bit more for the Pathfinder ... I think you will be happier in the long run.

The tires are fairly inexpensive, and the tow hooks came in pretty handy (more so than I would like to admit). The a/c worked great. The on board compass was helpful at times. The premium stereo wasn’t too shabby either. Sadly, the bad outweighs the good.

Make the Jeep reliable! The tranny is most questionable. It’s pretty squirrelly on the highway at high speed. The clear coat should last longer than 100k. The axles should last more than 95k miles! Overall it’s just a bad choice.

Love My Jeep
By Love My Jeep

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have 118+K miles on my Jeep and the only thing that has gone wrong is the water pump. During last year's snow storm in Kentucky, I pulled out two 18 wheelers and 23 other cars and trucks. It's like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going, and going. I'm debating whether to keep it for another three or four years or trade it in on a newer model.

Its power. It'll climb a mountain or cross a river.

Gas mileage.

'96 Limited 4WD V8 - 153,000 miles
By Trevor

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought used in '97 with about 10,000 miles. 143,000 miles and many road trips later, I have had virtually no problems. Other than routine maintenance, I've only done the front CV boots and an A/C recharge. This is the best car I have ever owned and I would definitely buy another. My only complaints are the gas mileage (14-15 city, 18-20 hwy), heated seats quit working last year ($1,000 to repair...don't need 'em that bad!), and some of my buttons on the radio don't work unless you press them really hard. Overall very happy with my Jeep throughout the years.

Radio controls on steering wheel, auto dim mirrors, vehicle information screen, overhead console computer.

Heated seats should last longer, better gas mileage, a few rattles I don't care for.