Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

194,000 and still running
By Mouseman

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 182,000 on it for $1250.00. Had to rebuild the transmission in April of 2010, but since then it has been running great.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, nice stereo, and a great engine. Haven't had to touch the engine since I bought it.

Suggested Improvements

None

'96 Laredo 4X4
By hartsjeep

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

My Laredo has 186,000+ bought it for $1. Have had to replace about everything under hood. Normal wear and tear. Have had it for 5 yrs now and I love it. Been good to me. Went from VT to AZ spent 4 yrs their then AZ to VT again. Both ways towing a 4 wheel Uhal trailer. Not a hiccup or anything either way. I wouldn't try that with anything else. On our way back and forth we slept in the Jeep. The back is perfect size for two average sized people to sleep comfortably. LOVE MY JEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

4X4 is my favorite feature. Can go ANYWHERE!!!

Great SUV
By Ron

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1996 JGC new. I now have 215k miles and it still runs very well. I do regular maintenance; had to replace radiator twice. Still original motor and tran.

Favorite Features

4x4

Suggested Improvements

More space in rear.

ONE CATASTROPHE AFTER ANOTHER
By karma90

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Automatic, 2WD, the vehicle starts up perfectly but then instantly dies.Not a sputter nothing it's like it just loses spark.The power works fine, the dash lights come on,no problem, automatic & manual head lights work great so far.Power windows and door locks work,my interior lights work.Gas light comes on,but there's gas in the jeep.None of the gauges move at all.After trying to start it multiple times there is no sort of clicking from inside my vehicle like when my alternator went out & my battery kept dying.I recently replaced the alternator 2 days ago.I replaced transmission catalytic converter,muffler,& major tune up 6 weeks ago. PLEASE HELP

96 Grand Cherokee 5.2 AWD Limited
By alfawhite

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Due its' age, it is still a great SUV. If you are driving on a bad road, it shakes a lot and that makes you a bit uncomfortable. Front bumper design could be better. Braking could be better. Besides these It is a great reliable car. Handling is just fine. MPG is alright for a v8 engine. Modifiable and cheap parts(In non US country). If you have a lpg installed, you get around a 1.6 litre car mpg. 4.5/5 stars !!!

Favorite Features

Torque and power is very good for a SUV. Feels safe. Handling is fine.

Suggested Improvements

More body parts features could be made.