Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Jeep's best engine EVER
By Jan

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The inline V6 is the best engine Jeep's ever made, this is fact. Might run 250k ... but, in last month alone, I had to replace battery, starter, alternator, and finally got around to getting estimates on $1,200 air conditioner replacement (leaking), new exhaust, and total electrical system overhaul. My stereo was stolen, and now the windows and locks work only intermittently, and the check engine light has been on for 2 1/2 months, EVEN WHEN THE CAR'S OFF. No diagnostic tests have solved puzzle. It was fabulous until it went bad, and it went bad FAST.

Great gas economy for suv 16/22. Powerful little V6. Tough truck.

Nothing that would help, I mean, it's 10 years old.

The 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
By Mike

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a great vehicle. As long as you take care of the basic maintenance it will run forever. The offroad performance is also very good. Highway is comfortable. I have the I6 4.0 engine. Power sunroof and leather seats. Black inside and out. The only thing that is a knock on the vehicle is the highway. There is some hesitation when going from overdrive to one of the lower gears. That is to be expected with the I6. But overall it isn't a big deal because if you lower the throttle even more the it can really move. The gas mileage is as follows. 60-67 23-24 mpg. 67-74 21-18 mpg. City speeds it is about 15-16 mpg. Great vehicle for Michigan, not to mention it was and still is made in Detroit.

Selec-Trac 4x4 is great. Sunroof is too.

All have been addressed in the new Jeep Grand Cherokees.

Jeep Grand Cherokee with no complaints
By Weez

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

One of the better vehicles I have ever owned. It reminds me of my '72 Nova but without all the problems, and I never had to keep tools onboard. Nice firm ride on the road and great off road ride. Handles all the bumps and ditches with ease. The only complaint I have is the location of the overdrive cutoff switch. It was hard to see. I like this Grand Cherokee so much that I bought another in 2004.

I love this SUV for its many uses like most SUVs; the seats can fold down and it can be loaded like a truck.

Move the location of the overdrive cutoff switch.

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
By Cristen

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my Jeep this year, of course used. It is a great vehicle. I have had no problems with it at all, it runs very well and I love the power with the v-8. I was very surprised about how well it turns in tight spots. It maneuvers like a car. The interior is very comfortable, and it has power everything. I like that the seats move up and down, because i am only 4 foot 11 inches tall. And it is no problem to drive. It has plenty of space to haul just about anything, and the back seats fold down. I like the navigational system. All in all it is a great vehicle, the only bad thing I can say is it gets 15 mpg in town and 18 on 4-lane, and I was used to a Geo Tracker that got 35 mpg.

4 wheel drive, power seats, comfort, reliable, hauling, fast!

Gas mileage, but what can I expect, it is a v8.

Excellent Vehicle
By Lynn

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I've had my Jeep for over two years now and have had no problems. I'm so impressed with Jeep. Reliability is a must for me and this has been an excellent vehicle for this military single parent. I'm a Jeeper for life!

I love the fact that you can fold the back seats down and pretty much load anything into it. It's so nice not to have to rent a U-haul or try and find a friend with a truck!

I like the body style of the '05 and even though I'm getting the 2005, I think Jeep was wrong to take the spare tire from the inside, it took space away from storage and the versatility of being able to just take the spare tire out and have that much more room. But in all I love this vehicle!