Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Jeep Grand Cherokee with no complaints
By Weez

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

One of the better vehicles I have ever owned. It reminds me of my '72 Nova but without all the problems, and I never had to keep tools onboard. Nice firm ride on the road and great off road ride. Handles all the bumps and ditches with ease. The only complaint I have is the location of the overdrive cutoff switch. It was hard to see. I like this Grand Cherokee so much that I bought another in 2004.

I love this SUV for its many uses like most SUVs; the seats can fold down and it can be loaded like a truck.

Move the location of the overdrive cutoff switch.

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
By Cristen

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my Jeep this year, of course used. It is a great vehicle. I have had no problems with it at all, it runs very well and I love the power with the v-8. I was very surprised about how well it turns in tight spots. It maneuvers like a car. The interior is very comfortable, and it has power everything. I like that the seats move up and down, because i am only 4 foot 11 inches tall. And it is no problem to drive. It has plenty of space to haul just about anything, and the back seats fold down. I like the navigational system. All in all it is a great vehicle, the only bad thing I can say is it gets 15 mpg in town and 18 on 4-lane, and I was used to a Geo Tracker that got 35 mpg.

4 wheel drive, power seats, comfort, reliable, hauling, fast!

Gas mileage, but what can I expect, it is a v8.

Excellent Vehicle
By Lynn

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I've had my Jeep for over two years now and have had no problems. I'm so impressed with Jeep. Reliability is a must for me and this has been an excellent vehicle for this military single parent. I'm a Jeeper for life!

I love the fact that you can fold the back seats down and pretty much load anything into it. It's so nice not to have to rent a U-haul or try and find a friend with a truck!

I like the body style of the '05 and even though I'm getting the 2005, I think Jeep was wrong to take the spare tire from the inside, it took space away from storage and the versatility of being able to just take the spare tire out and have that much more room. But in all I love this vehicle!

Leaky Jeep!
By P V C

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Lived in Japan for a while; bought and shipped a Jeep (with 56,000 miles) when I returned to US. After over a year of ownership and 5,000 miles of driving, I have taken it to a 5-star Chrysler dealer for numerous reasons: busted CV boots, leaking transmission lines, leaking valve cover... what's next? Is it the vehicle that's unreliable, or is it the mechanics that work on it? Just waiting for the right time to take it for trade in.

Excellent sound system! I like the leather interior and automatic features.

Chrysler needs to improve the quality of their Jeep components. Make more reliable Jeeps, or hire more reliable mechanics at the dealerships.

If You Can Afford to Run It
By antbloom

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

In Australia the Jeep Grand Cherokee is sold as a premium vehicle with a price to match. Even 1996 models sell at dealers for over $18,000. My experience has not been a happy one; luckily the dealer gave me a 3 year unlimited warranty. All sorts of rattles, whines and leaks plague this car which the dealer seems unable to fix. My advice is admire someone else's Jeep and buy a Toyota.

Style, power, features.