Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

solid 4x4
By hunter

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The gas mileage and reliability were not what I had hoped for but it has performed the towing and off road job very well. It is comfortable on highway and the V8 has plenty of power. It now has 120,000 miles and has required no internal engine work. I have an "up country" suspension and limited slip rear end which makes it a good hunting vehicle.

The Jeep is not styled off the road every year.

Jeep needs quicker and more positive steering.

My trusted Jeep
By Will

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I love my Jeep. Yeah I've had some normal problems with a car that now has 155,000 miles on it like replace radiator, starter, window motor, and a couple of other things, but that's normal. Parts are really cheap for it and the car is easy to work on. The inline 6 cylinder is virtually bullet proof.

Leather seats, computer that reminds me I left my turn signal on and other stuff. Cargo capacity. Car feels solid.

Better fuel economy.

BUY ONE!
By jeepster

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle September of 1995, and since then it has been a pleasure to drive. It has great handling, and NO blind spots! It also is extremely powerful with the V8 engine. The heated seats are great with my back, and the sunroof is just a pleasure. The trip computer is very informative, and has kept my Jeep moving. After 11 years of ownership, I have put 111,000 miles on this Jeep, and haven't had a single problem; it has not seen the inside of the Jeep dealership since the day i bought it (other than routine maintenance). I bought a Mercedes ML 2 years ago, but kept the Jeep, I ended up trading the ML back because it was no comparison, and now I drive the Jeep! Amazing vehicle!

Heated leather seats! V8 engine! Has so much power, steering, and reliability. I love the body style on the new Jeep, but have no desire to trade this wonderful Jeep in.

Better cupholders! other than that nothing.

Jeep's best engine EVER
By Jan

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The inline V6 is the best engine Jeep's ever made, this is fact. Might run 250k ... but, in last month alone, I had to replace battery, starter, alternator, and finally got around to getting estimates on $1,200 air conditioner replacement (leaking), new exhaust, and total electrical system overhaul. My stereo was stolen, and now the windows and locks work only intermittently, and the check engine light has been on for 2 1/2 months, EVEN WHEN THE CAR'S OFF. No diagnostic tests have solved puzzle. It was fabulous until it went bad, and it went bad FAST.

Great gas economy for suv 16/22. Powerful little V6. Tough truck.

Nothing that would help, I mean, it's 10 years old.

The 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
By Mike

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a great vehicle. As long as you take care of the basic maintenance it will run forever. The offroad performance is also very good. Highway is comfortable. I have the I6 4.0 engine. Power sunroof and leather seats. Black inside and out. The only thing that is a knock on the vehicle is the highway. There is some hesitation when going from overdrive to one of the lower gears. That is to be expected with the I6. But overall it isn't a big deal because if you lower the throttle even more the it can really move. The gas mileage is as follows. 60-67 23-24 mpg. 67-74 21-18 mpg. City speeds it is about 15-16 mpg. Great vehicle for Michigan, not to mention it was and still is made in Detroit.

Selec-Trac 4x4 is great. Sunroof is too.

All have been addressed in the new Jeep Grand Cherokees.