1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Love my Jeep
By Karen Turner on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

It's my 3rd Jeep and my best one yet!! No problems, just normal wear and repair.

Jeeping!
By zees on 07/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it with 111k miles, love it. Exhaust manifold was replace by previous owner as was A/C leak, several rubber joints in the suspension, had real seal on difference replaced ($50). In lin e6 has lots of power. Low gas mileage 13.2 mostly in town. Rides great, very comfirtable seats in front, kinda of small in back (typical mid-size anything).

piece of crap
By ex-jeeper on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This jeep has been the worst automobile in my life. Everything has been replaced at least twice. Don't pay attention to any warranty because it will break again when it gets out.

Our first AWD Jeep GC
By JerryP on 05/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle purchased as a lease return with 36K miles. Overall it has been a good car for comfort w/o big money spent for repairs. AWD is nice in wet & rainy Puget Sound weather. The V8 gas mileage is just over 12 MPG after almost 5 years of ownership. Recently hadthe car at a Seattle dealer and were advised that the rear-wheel bearings and CV boots needed replacing. Other reviewers have also noted the interior failures of the linings of the doors but stuff like that IS fixable! Overall we are generally satisfied and feel we have chosen widely, having bought it used and not shelling out the original invoice of around $33K.

less than a jeep thing
By daniel storrs on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The car has cost us a ton of money in repairs. Jeep replaced half of the engine in the first 1000 miles. We have had to repair a head gasket, a rear end twice, an automatic transmission twice, etc. It just is not a well made car.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
By Tim Gydov on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car because of it's large size and high ride. I was not disapointed! Over the past 3 years I've had a lot of fun with this car, and it's saved me tons of money in UHAUL trailers because of it's large cargo capacity. Occasionally I would use the 4 wheel drive for snow and ice, and it worked well for that. The only real problem I've had with it was the fuel pump. I had it changed out twice. The A/C would also give me problems from time to time. I think it has a small leak. Otherwise, it's been well worth the money.

A Great Car for it's Time
By Douger on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had this car for nearly 5 years now and have really been quite happy with it. I did need to replace the AC compressor twice... a common problem, I've read. Other than that, if you are perhaps a bit more aggressive in changing differential, transmission, and transaxle fluids then the manufacturer recommends, these are great cars on and off the road. Other minor problems: Mirror memory Seatbelt sensor ABS sensors (adjustment needed only)

I hope the newer Jeeps are better!
By blackjeep on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep with 47K miles and until recently it's been great. I now have 100K miles and several problems. The tranny is poorly design because I now have slippage. The interior door panel are garbage due to the poor choice of material(it shrinks in heat). I have to replace the distributor next, after just replacing the ball joints. If the ratings for the newer models are as bad, Jeep will soon be out of business.

Sounded like a good SUV @ time
By Ana on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Where should I start mmm...bought with 42,000 in '99, interior hardware failing,side mirrors memory set failing, stereo buttons sticky hard to change mode, heating seats don't work anymore, back wiper sticky, replaced CV boots(@93k),power steering brackets before 90k, there's acouple of other things that have failed right before it hit 100K but overall still runs great. We've been across the border twice and other long trips in the state, not sure what other SUV we could have bought at time (NOT FORD). Would like to sell but only for gas mileage reasons, I drive alot in town.

Piece of ****
By givemeahondaanyday on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

My first American car (and I've had probably 8 or 9 foreign cars). I was always leery of buying an American car and that worry was definitly justified. I bought this p.o.* new and had problems with it within the first 15,000 miles. I should have sold it then but I thought that the problems would be over. Not so, they just increase exponentially with age. I'm glad I have AAA as I have to call them for a tow at least once a year. I can't even delineate the number of mechanical engine repairs I've paid for. Thank goodness, I'm planning on trading it in tomorrow; any dealer is a fool to give me 2 cents for it but I have my fingers crossed.