Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Love it!
By Stacy

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We've had our Jeep for about 4 years. It has over 230,000 miles and we've only had to replace the transmission and water pump. It is safe in the Wisconsin winters with our child, or pulling our two horse trailer anytime.

V8 engine.

It's A Jeep!
By drive it

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

If you know Jeeps, there's not much to explain. The car comes super loaded, more so than most new cars now. With the V8, gas mileage isn't too great, about 16 mpg, but what do you expect. The only problem I've ever had on mine (now at 98,000 miles) is the heated seats which seem to have a tenancy to go out every couple years even if you keep getting them fixed. But most cars don't even have them in the first place so it's not a big deal to just not have them. To me, it's one of the best looking SUV's ever made with comfort to match. Even at 10 years old, it's everything you need in an SUV. Recommended to anyone not worried about gas mileage.

The luxury! Looks great, handles in the snow like a dream.

Improve the heated seats so that they don't always go out. Tight (u)-turns tend to handle strange due to the 4WD system, but its nothing to complain about. The new Jeeps are perfect so everything has been fixed.

solid 4x4
By hunter

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

The gas mileage and reliability were not what I had hoped for but it has performed the towing and off road job very well. It is comfortable on highway and the V8 has plenty of power. It now has 120,000 miles and has required no internal engine work. I have an "up country" suspension and limited slip rear end which makes it a good hunting vehicle.

The Jeep is not styled off the road every year.

Jeep needs quicker and more positive steering.

My trusted Jeep
By Will

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I love my Jeep. Yeah I've had some normal problems with a car that now has 155,000 miles on it like replace radiator, starter, window motor, and a couple of other things, but that's normal. Parts are really cheap for it and the car is easy to work on. The inline 6 cylinder is virtually bullet proof.

Leather seats, computer that reminds me I left my turn signal on and other stuff. Cargo capacity. Car feels solid.

Better fuel economy.

BUY ONE!
By jeepster

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle September of 1995, and since then it has been a pleasure to drive. It has great handling, and NO blind spots! It also is extremely powerful with the V8 engine. The heated seats are great with my back, and the sunroof is just a pleasure. The trip computer is very informative, and has kept my Jeep moving. After 11 years of ownership, I have put 111,000 miles on this Jeep, and haven't had a single problem; it has not seen the inside of the Jeep dealership since the day i bought it (other than routine maintenance). I bought a Mercedes ML 2 years ago, but kept the Jeep, I ended up trading the ML back because it was no comparison, and now I drive the Jeep! Amazing vehicle!

Heated leather seats! V8 engine! Has so much power, steering, and reliability. I love the body style on the new Jeep, but have no desire to trade this wonderful Jeep in.

Better cupholders! other than that nothing.