Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

10 years trouble free
By mm

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in '96, now with 110K. Runs great, always starts. Have always done routine maintenance and that has paid off. Lately though I am putting more money into it each year. Recent radiator, AC leaks, 1st muffler/exhaust replacement last year. Good brakes, strong engine. Take care of it and it will do likewise.

Very comfortable interior as well as a smooth ride. Easy dash controls and a good all around SUV.

Some wind noise at highway speed, gas mileage could be better,

Great SUV
By Jd

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle in 2004 at 190,000 miles and its still running good. I'm at 196.6 now. I bought it because i was really impressed with the interior. It was in excellent condition. 4wd still works very well. The previous owner did a lot of routine mainteance on it which is why it still runs well. I paid $4000 for it. Overall, I'm very satisfied with. I just wish the gas mileage a bit better. The paint still looks as it was new.

Gas mileage.

Forever Reliable Plus Comfort
By Frank Badolato

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep has taken me through college and now with 4 children. I don't doubt that if I keep up with regular maintenance that it will easily last another 150000 miles. It is the only one of our cars we trust in all forms of weather.

Comfort, stereo, power, versatility.

Add leg room for rear passengers.

Love it!
By Stacy

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

We've had our Jeep for about 4 years. It has over 230,000 miles and we've only had to replace the transmission and water pump. It is safe in the Wisconsin winters with our child, or pulling our two horse trailer anytime.

V8 engine.

It's A Jeep!
By drive it

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

If you know Jeeps, there's not much to explain. The car comes super loaded, more so than most new cars now. With the V8, gas mileage isn't too great, about 16 mpg, but what do you expect. The only problem I've ever had on mine (now at 98,000 miles) is the heated seats which seem to have a tenancy to go out every couple years even if you keep getting them fixed. But most cars don't even have them in the first place so it's not a big deal to just not have them. To me, it's one of the best looking SUV's ever made with comfort to match. Even at 10 years old, it's everything you need in an SUV. Recommended to anyone not worried about gas mileage.

The luxury! Looks great, handles in the snow like a dream.

Improve the heated seats so that they don't always go out. Tight (u)-turns tend to handle strange due to the 4WD system, but its nothing to complain about. The new Jeeps are perfect so everything has been fixed.