1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
So far so good
By Ralston on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our Jeep new and have had it for 7 years and 90,000 miles. It is a pleasure to drive, particularly in the snow or for towing a boat. We like the way it handles and the power of the V- 8. We have been diligent in doing the regular maintenance and so far we have had few problems. We have had to replace the rear main seal ($325) and valve covers to fix minor oil leaks ($100). We had a sensor or two go out (covered under warranty) and recently replaced the watter pump ($400) Other than that it has been a great car so far.

Dependable
By Elliott M on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I have replaced all of the anxillary parts, e.g. battery, alternator, power steering pump, water pump (2x),... My biggest complaint is that the A/C gets clogged with leaves. I had to "gut" the dash to replace the evaporator. I did it myself only because I was a student at the time and couldn't afford to pay $1,000 in labor to install a $100 part. It taxed my shade-tree mechanic capabilities, however.

1996
By LakeLisa on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Replaced AC core and catylatic convertor. Otherwise no problems. This vehicle has served our family of four well. From time to time we miss the second row captain chairs in our old van. Helps keep the kids from bothering each other. Overall, we have been very pleased with the car and its performance.

What else can go wrong
By horrible suv on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have replaced fuel pump, power steering pump, water pump, radiator, rear end, and radio. The air conditioning was leaking water into the interior..sounds baffling. I guess that is another common problem in these jeeps. These repairs were all done at my "five star" jeep dealership. Thank God that I had purchased the extended warranty. I have 119, 000 miles on it now. Everything that can go wrong has gone wrong. Make sure you stay away from the V8 and four wheel drive. The interior door panels are falling apart. I think jeep makes a few crappy ones out there just so the dealers' service department can make a few bucks.

Like it.
By SI on 10/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Got it at 124000. It was a fleet car, well maintained and garaged. Several things were tuned up by dealer. So far I like it a lot. Knock on wood...Good handling in wet weather, especially helpful here in Seattle. Roomier than any sedan. Overall I like this car very much.

Dream Jeep
By fathergoose4 on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep off a lease with 36k miles. I now have over 92k with very little trouble,Only wear and tear stuff.The biggest job was I had to change front axle due to a broken cv boot. Overall it is an excellent experience and I am very happy.

Great Deal and longlasting
By Lagler/Martin on 09/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I really like this car, very reliable. Since I drive it in the city only, the breaks are very much the main concern. Otherwise great car!!

Good SUV
By Bill Mc on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

This is One High Quality SUV

Love it!
By LoriB on 08/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jeep Gr Cherokee. It has been very reliable and fun to drive for 90,000 miles. It had less than 30,000 miles when I bought it.

It's a JEEP! (-:
By Brandi on 08/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Great vehicle. Bought used a year ago with 103,000 miles on it. Now has 130,000 on it and no problems other than preventive maintenance(things that need to be replaced at 100,000+ miles). Had 86 Cherokee with 230,000 when I got rid of it and FIL has 91 Cherokee with 250,000+ on it so I know I have many miles left. Regretted getting rid of mine til I got this one. Glad to be back in a Jeep! People who say otherwise should think about how it was cared for before making a judgement on quality. If well-cared for, will last for many miles.