Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

fun offroad and on road
By zjeep

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

No major hitches, with little mods It did Moab wonderfully. On road quiet and roomy. Best front seats of anything I have sat in. Modest 6 banger performance is sufficient. Plan on keeping it till I cant find parts.

Ease of mods, maintenance (try plugs and oil filter on the V engines), front seats, rear load capacity.

Modernize the engine don't get rid of it.

I would buy another one
By trouble

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This Jeep has very high miles, regular up keep no major problems, only ball joints at 175,000 miles, very comfortable ride, and everything still works. Always drove a Chevy, but thought I would try something else, glad I did, it has a v-8 and I get 24 average miles to the gallon according to the tripometer. The paint looks great everything is original except for the custom stereo.

Sun roof is awesome, handles great in snow, awesome power if ya need it. :) Comfortable.

I like it the way it is!

10 years trouble free
By mm

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in '96, now with 110K. Runs great, always starts. Have always done routine maintenance and that has paid off. Lately though I am putting more money into it each year. Recent radiator, AC leaks, 1st muffler/exhaust replacement last year. Good brakes, strong engine. Take care of it and it will do likewise.

Very comfortable interior as well as a smooth ride. Easy dash controls and a good all around SUV.

Some wind noise at highway speed, gas mileage could be better,

Great SUV
By Jd

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle in 2004 at 190,000 miles and its still running good. I'm at 196.6 now. I bought it because i was really impressed with the interior. It was in excellent condition. 4wd still works very well. The previous owner did a lot of routine mainteance on it which is why it still runs well. I paid $4000 for it. Overall, I'm very satisfied with. I just wish the gas mileage a bit better. The paint still looks as it was new.

Gas mileage.

Forever Reliable Plus Comfort
By Frank Badolato

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep has taken me through college and now with 4 children. I don't doubt that if I keep up with regular maintenance that it will easily last another 150000 miles. It is the only one of our cars we trust in all forms of weather.

Comfort, stereo, power, versatility.

Add leg room for rear passengers.