Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

ONE CATASTROPHE AFTER ANOTHER
By karma90

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Automatic, 2WD, the vehicle starts up perfectly but then instantly dies.Not a sputter nothing it's like it just loses spark.The power works fine, the dash lights come on,no problem, automatic & manual head lights work great so far.Power windows and door locks work,my interior lights work.Gas light comes on,but there's gas in the jeep.None of the gauges move at all.After trying to start it multiple times there is no sort of clicking from inside my vehicle like when my alternator went out & my battery kept dying.I recently replaced the alternator 2 days ago.I replaced transmission catalytic converter,muffler,& major tune up 6 weeks ago. PLEASE HELP

200,000
By foster6245

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

We haven't had any problems with this jeep until now at 200,000 miles, it left me stranded by the road the other day. Completely shut off and we had to tow it to the dealership where they replaced the computer and some other things and cost around 1,000. Needless to say the jeep is at the end of it's life span. The exterior paint is worn away, the head liner is completely falling down, looking for another vehicle. Found out there has been multiple issues with the catalytic converter, etc.

Favorite Features

very comfortable ride

Jeep - never again
By 1996 Jeep Grand Cher

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I have the 4.0 liter, 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Had 65,000 K when I bought it. Worst car I have ever owned. I am shopping for a replacement now. I have replaced catalytic convertor twice, out again. Cracked exhaust manifold, hoses, radiator,crank shaft sensor (going out again I believe), idle motor also. Have to hit starter 6 to 8 times to connect. I am 64 years old and put 5,000 miles on it a year..so rough treatment is not the excuse.

great ride
By dave67@pennswoods.ne

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Owned my Jeep for more than ten years towed 23 ft fishing boat for 8 of them this Jeep is amazing I have over three hundred and thirty thousand and have done very little I replaced tranns at three hundred thou along with one front axel one rear originally water fuel and power steering pumps I have used Lucas products and I highly recommend a buying a Jeep busing Lucas oil products I cant tell you enough great things about this Jeep put a set of bf all terrains she handles like no other ac always cold even with as many miles as I have on it

Favorite Features

v8 power comfortably the way it handles towing is great

Suggested Improvements

don't really have any thing to complain about

My poor Jeep
By Great SUV!

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought my beloved Jeep GC with 107k miles. The good far outweighed the bad. 24+ mpg highway with the inline 6 and auto transmission. Would haul anything I put in it (1200lbs of Pavers) or towed behind it. Water poured in by the passenger A pillar while raining, brake rotors warped easily, power locks worked most of the time. It never left me stranded even though I used the heck out of it with little maintenance. As it was "dying" something would fail ONLY at the end of a long trip **after arrival**. A trans fluid line to the oil cooler blew off at 192k miles and the trans was toast, but it still drove me safely to a parking lot and out of traffic. My poor Jeep was good to me.

Favorite Features

Very efficient for an SUV, small size compared to huge monsters on the road today. I called it the "mini-me SUV". Could stretch out in the back with the seats down on a long trip and saved hundreds avoiding hotels.

Suggested Improvements

I didn't find any one thing particularly lacking, and I drove it a LOT without babying it and minimal maintenance.