Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Reliability to the extreme
By crhern

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I inherited my Jeep as a gift, it had 210,000 miles on it and everything was still original. Its an inline 6 limited now it has 240,000 miles on it and only the fuel pump and the radiator have been replaced everything else is still good. As many people say move the spare tire! Its annoying I've seen a few grand Cherokees where the spare is mounted on the liftgate like any other SUV and the rear window doesn't open other than those two things its awesome good power and ride, comfortable I'm definitely getting another Jeep in the future so is the girlfriend

Favorite Features

easy to maintain, seats, compass thing, my sound system i've put in is amazing

Suggested Improvements

ac overhead panel (shakes when music is loud) spare tire, I personally wouldn't have put in fake wood trim changing soon

Penny wise, pound foolish
By DoctorJ

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Bought this vehicle off lease with 28k miles. Needed a high-clearance vehicle for work as I occasionally have to drive on dirt/gravel roads. I really wanted a 4Runner, but thought I'd save $3,000 or so and "Buy American" - BIG mistake. Interior trim is peeling off of the doors and the seat fabric failed early. For some reason, I'm always banging my foot on the door lip getting in & out. Has that "tippy" feel on corners. Worst of all, I had to replace the transmission at 65k mi, spending the $3000 I "saved" on the purchase, but it still doesn't work that smoothly.

Favorite Features

The engine seems to run reliably & the vehicle performs reasonably well on unpaved roads, hills, etc. Ground clearance is good as advertised.

Suggested Improvements

Cargo area is surprisingly small & poorly designed. For example, the spare tire is mounted on the "wide" side of the fold-down rear seat, making it narrower than the "narrow" side for actually loading cargo. DUH!

My Jeep
By SUSIE

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I could live in this car. I sleep in it and eat in it and talk on the phone in it and my kids have changed clothes in it. I bought my first one and the car salesman wrecked it after I drove it 1 day and I refused to take anything but a like model. I had to settle for a different interior color but I was o.k with it. The square cargo space is roomy and the front seats are perfect for us. I love that it adjusts the seats and mirrors for us since my husband is tall, and I am not. Thankfully he does not drive it much.

Favorite Features

The sound system is wonderful, even if it is the Eagles or C/W. Only been in the shop 1 time for a recall that was a while back.Love the auto adjust seats/mirrors/

Suggested Improvements

A little brighter interior lighting. I am sure there have been improvements since 1996. I am beginning to look

96 JGC Limited
By CDRHI

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Bought used in great shape and now at 65,000 still a great deal. Full loaded (except for the sunroof :( ) everything. I have the 4.0L and it seems to be more reliable especially with 2WD. It seems Jeep does have 4WD transmission problems if you don't take care. I change the oil (synthetic) and transmission fluids (also synthetic) per manufacturers guidelines. I also firmly believe a good mechanic (not a dealer) is the most important thing to have. I had an intermittent engine problem that was worked out over a few weeks, check this (change cheap stuff first) and finally resulting in a new ECM.

Favorite Features

leather, interior, looks, full features

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy a Jeep unless you are or know a very good mechanic (and they are few and far between). If you don't know one buy a Toyota.

Love my Jeep
By Karen Turner

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

It's my 3rd Jeep and my best one yet!! No problems, just normal wear and repair.

Favorite Features

The seats are comfortable and really like the heat in the seats during the winter.

Suggested Improvements

Panels on the doors.