1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
ONE CATASTROPHE AFTER ANOTHER
By karma90 on 03/06/13 20:46 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Automatic, 2WD, the vehicle starts up perfectly but then instantly dies.Not a sputter nothing it's like it just loses spark.The power works fine, the dash lights come on,no problem, automatic & manual head lights work great so far.Power windows and door locks work,my interior lights work.Gas light comes on,but there's gas in the jeep.None of the gauges move at all.After trying to start it multiple times there is no sort of clicking from inside my vehicle like when my alternator went out & my battery kept dying.I recently replaced the alternator 2 days ago.I replaced transmission catalytic converter,muffler,& major tune up 6 weeks ago. PLEASE HELP

200,000
By foster6245 on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

We haven't had any problems with this jeep until now at 200,000 miles, it left me stranded by the road the other day. Completely shut off and we had to tow it to the dealership where they replaced the computer and some other things and cost around 1,000. Needless to say the jeep is at the end of it's life span. The exterior paint is worn away, the head liner is completely falling down, looking for another vehicle. Found out there has been multiple issues with the catalytic converter, etc.

Jeep - never again
By 1996 Jeep Grand Cher on 03/13/10 15:18 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I have the 4.0 liter, 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Had 65,000 K when I bought it. Worst car I have ever owned. I am shopping for a replacement now. I have replaced catalytic convertor twice, out again. Cracked exhaust manifold, hoses, radiator,crank shaft sensor (going out again I believe), idle motor also. Have to hit starter 6 to 8 times to connect. I am 64 years old and put 5,000 miles on it a year..so rough treatment is not the excuse.

great ride
By dave67@pennswoods.ne on 11/18/09 18:33 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Owned my Jeep for more than ten years towed 23 ft fishing boat for 8 of them this Jeep is amazing I have over three hundred and thirty thousand and have done very little I replaced tranns at three hundred thou along with one front axel one rear originally water fuel and power steering pumps I have used Lucas products and I highly recommend a buying a Jeep busing Lucas oil products I cant tell you enough great things about this Jeep put a set of bf all terrains she handles like no other ac always cold even with as many miles as I have on it

My poor Jeep
By Great SUV! on 10/23/09 00:02 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought my beloved Jeep GC with 107k miles. The good far outweighed the bad. 24+ mpg highway with the inline 6 and auto transmission. Would haul anything I put in it (1200lbs of Pavers) or towed behind it. Water poured in by the passenger A pillar while raining, brake rotors warped easily, power locks worked most of the time. It never left me stranded even though I used the heck out of it with little maintenance. As it was "dying" something would fail ONLY at the end of a long trip **after arrival**. A trans fluid line to the oil cooler blew off at 192k miles and the trans was toast, but it still drove me safely to a parking lot and out of traffic. My poor Jeep was good to me.

Still going
By Jwimm on 02/01/08 15:42 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought this vehicle with about 35K miles on it. Up to about 120k now. Thing still going well. Problems to date: A/C leaks, on 3rd cat conv due to recalls, and just found out that exhaust manifold is cracked. Only regular maintenance beyond that. Like to get a new car but this thing just doesn't want to give up.

Great SUV
By Lilsurfingsteve on 05/25/07 09:34 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I recieved my car for Christmas of 2004. Since then, it has been a great car. The guy before me was not the best to it. It has a few dents and dings but not too bad. All I've had to replace was the radiator. I'm definitely going to buy another Jeep Grand Cherokee after I give this one to my brother.

Family Member
By Rod on 02/21/07 10:34 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought as new and have 120K with nothing other than normal maintenance items and has been driven off-road. Original engine and tranny, still easily passes CA smog gets 25 mpg hwy and 16 city. Change oil every 3k - 4K miles. Paint in great condition but rear liftgate shocks are wearing out. No other complaints.

My trusted Jeep
By Will on 01/01/06 11:30 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I love my Jeep. Yeah I've had some normal problems with a car that now has 155,000 miles on it like replace radiator, starter, window motor, and a couple of other things, but that's normal. Parts are really cheap for it and the car is easy to work on. The inline 6 cylinder is virtually bullet proof.

Jeep Grand Cherokee with no complaints
By Weez on 09/16/05 13:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

One of the better vehicles I have ever owned. It reminds me of my '72 Nova but without all the problems, and I never had to keep tools onboard. Nice firm ride on the road and great off road ride. Handles all the bumps and ditches with ease. The only complaint I have is the location of the overdrive cutoff switch. It was hard to see. I like this Grand Cherokee so much that I bought another in 2004.