1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
HARD TO BEAT A JEEP
By matsr on 11/29/13 13:43 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

A wrangler or Grand Cherokee is hard to beat. The 96-98 years for the ZJ was one of the best. Highly modifiable and good for off road and trailer/boat towing. Get you about the same place as a wrangler will go. Have had both; now we have as a second vehicle, our 3rd 96 Laredo with 4.0 liter six with 4x4.

ONE CATASTROPHE AFTER ANOTHER
By karma90 on 03/06/13 20:46 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Automatic, 2WD, the vehicle starts up perfectly but then instantly dies.Not a sputter nothing it's like it just loses spark.The power works fine, the dash lights come on,no problem, automatic & manual head lights work great so far.Power windows and door locks work,my interior lights work.Gas light comes on,but there's gas in the jeep.None of the gauges move at all.After trying to start it multiple times there is no sort of clicking from inside my vehicle like when my alternator went out & my battery kept dying.I recently replaced the alternator 2 days ago.I replaced transmission catalytic converter,muffler,& major tune up 6 weeks ago. PLEASE HELP

Bought as is from a used car lot.
By terjej on 10/12/12 18:57 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Step daughter wanted a Wrangler but we talked her into a Cherokee. This vehicle was found on Craigslist and is white with gold trim. It has dark grey leather interior and a lot of extras. Had a lot of issues with the jeep in the beginning. Radiator sprang a leak and had to be replaced, then the water pump and thermostat soon went out. The jeep then had a problem with shutting down when driving and was totally unreliable. Had to replace the crankshaft and cam shaft position sensors before that problem went away. Changed out the battery for a heavy duty one. Replaced the rotor, distributor cap and spark plug wires. Changed out the fuel filter and worked on the shift cable.

150,000
By cweiland on 09/06/12 09:34 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Just hit 150,000 miles and it is still running strong. The thing wont die! The interior is falling apart, my A/C dosen't work and im leaking a bit of oil and antifreeze but thats an easy fix. Most reliable vehicle i've owned, engine wise. It's no Aston Martin but i'll take it I guess.

280000 miles just wont die
By sailingdude on 11/08/11 17:35 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this jeep with allot of miles cheap. It is the fourth jeep I have owned. Cheap to fix and lots of used parts out there. Can't go wrong if you havn't allot of cash to blow on some over priced ero-trash leather llivingroom. You can still drive it with many things wrong with it then fix it at your own pace. 280k starts and runs great. and the interior is just as good, leather, heated seats, premium sound, comfortable, I can go on.

'96 Laredo 4X4
By hartsjeep on 06/11/11 14:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

My Laredo has 186,000+ bought it for $1. Have had to replace about everything under hood. Normal wear and tear. Have had it for 5 yrs now and I love it. Been good to me. Went from VT to AZ spent 4 yrs their then AZ to VT again. Both ways towing a 4 wheel Uhal trailer. Not a hiccup or anything either way. I wouldn't try that with anything else. On our way back and forth we slept in the Jeep. The back is perfect size for two average sized people to sleep comfortably. LOVE MY JEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hot Dang!
By faylchr2 on 01/07/11 14:39 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently purchased a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.2L V8 and 4x4. It has 133,000 miles on it as of now and I have had it just about a month. So far I have had no problems with the vehicle and I bought it for a very good price. I have had to replace the valve cover gaskets and front right axle seals, but I knew that would have to be replaced upon purchasing the Jeep. So far so good!! Hopefully I purchased a good one! Only two owners and fairly good overall condition.

Pretty Darn Good So Far...
By faylchr2 on 01/07/11 12:11 PM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought myself a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited the 5.2L V8 about a month ago. So far it has been good to me. I got a really good deal on it and knew it needed a little work. I replaced the valve cover gaskets and the front right axle seals and now it's running very well. It could have a bit nicer interior, but much like Chrysler for the ninetys the interiors are a little cheap. The performance makes up for it though!! (At the cost of fuel) I Love It So Far!!!

Still Going Strong Great S
By jeepkayakgrl on 12/07/10 11:59 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had a 1996 Limited Grand Cherokee since 2002. I like everything about it and it only has minor problems that need fixed. I have only had some major work on it done every few years usually the same stuff. This jeep stays outside year round in all weather conditions and it still gets me to point A and B without any problems. A jeep this age of course needs routine maintenance so its understandable when it has issues. I truly enjoy driving this jeep even today and I still have people ask me about it and people still comment it. I am sorry for all the owners out there that have had problems with theirs I will have this jeep till it stops running a truly great suv to own! Thanks Jeep

Attach Stuck vehicles here!
By Chewy12 on 12/02/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1996 jeep grand cherokee it is a 5.2l beast that puts trucks to shame. Goes any where anytime and always kills the competition. I have over 216k miles on her but all she needed so far is a water pump and some some new axle bearings. transfer case was never shifted into low until i got her at 200k miles some lil old lady had never taken her to play around in the dirt. transfer case is an achilles heel but works great if you take care of it. Tows great, sounds like a beast, does better of road than tradition cjs and tjs im always pulling those out of mud. Some beefy tires and a cold air intake give it some traction and better power and fuel economy.Who needs roads when you have a jeep